UK Insolation: Heat Gain Through Windows & NSE&W Calcs

• Thread starter lurksalot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
BRE standard assessment procedure. He is now leaning towards the net based calculator as the most likely option, but is still seeking additional standards or models for a more accurate figure.
lurksalot
I am doing a few calcs regarding heat gain through windows and I am looking fot some typical values to apply for vertical surface NSE&W.
I currently have figures from a glass manufacturer, a net based calculator and the BRE standar assesment proceedure ( for energy rating houses).
All three are wildly different with the net based one looking most likely , but does anyone know of any standards or models that can provide a reliable figure I can use.
many thanks in advance
Kev

Physics news on Phys.org
I am leaning further to the net based calculator now.
But does anyone have any knowledge of gain figures or any idea where to find them

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thank you for sharing your calculations and research on heat gain through windows and NSE&W calcs in the UK. It can definitely be challenging to find reliable and accurate values for these calculations, especially with varying sources and methods.

One standard that is commonly used in the UK for energy efficiency calculations is the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP). This is a government-approved methodology for assessing and comparing the energy and environmental performance of buildings. It includes factors such as heat loss through windows, solar gain, and ventilation. You mentioned that you have already looked at the BRE Standard Assessment Procedure, but it may be worth revisiting to ensure you are using the most up-to-date version and following all guidelines correctly.

Another option is to consult with a certified energy assessor or a building services engineer. They have the expertise and knowledge to accurately calculate heat gain through windows and NSE&W values for specific building projects. They can also provide recommendations for energy-efficient solutions and products to help achieve the desired results.

In terms of the discrepancies between the figures from the glass manufacturer, net-based calculator, and SAP, it may be helpful to cross-reference and validate the data from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your calculations!

1. What is insolation?

Insolation refers to the amount of solar radiation, or sunlight, that reaches the Earth's surface. It is measured in watts per square meter.

2. How does insolation affect heat gain through windows?

Insolation plays a major role in heat gain through windows. When sunlight hits a window, it warms up the surface and the air inside the room, leading to an increase in temperature. The amount of heat gain through windows depends on the intensity and duration of insolation, as well as the type of window and its orientation.

3. What is NSE&W calcs?

NSE&W calcs stands for North, South, East, and West calculations. These are calculations used to determine the amount of heat gain through windows based on their orientation towards the sun. The angle and intensity of sunlight hitting the window will vary depending on its orientation, and these calculations are used to determine the most effective ways to reduce heat gain through windows.

4. How can I reduce heat gain through windows?

There are several ways to reduce heat gain through windows, such as using reflective window coatings, installing window shades or blinds, using low-emissivity (low-E) glass, and planting trees or shrubs to provide shade. Additionally, proper insulation and sealing around windows can also help reduce heat gain.

5. Why is it important to consider UK insolation when calculating heat gain through windows?

UK insolation plays a critical role in heat gain through windows because the UK has a temperate climate with significant variations in insolation throughout the year. This means that the amount of solar radiation hitting windows will vary greatly, and the heat gain through windows will also vary. Considering UK insolation is crucial in accurately calculating heat gain through windows and determining the most effective ways to reduce it.