Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insomnia cure?

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    I'm gonna fail a math test tomorrow, all because I'm nocturnal.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2
    Fight Club?

4. Jan 20, 2006 #3
    Read a boring book, works for me all the time.

5. Jan 20, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any suggestions? I have a book called "Implementing the ISO 9000 Series" that can guarantee a comatose-like sleep within three minutes. :biggrin:

6. Jan 20, 2006 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Reading most of recent threads in GD is also good help!:uhh:

7. Jan 20, 2006 #6
    I can read anything, no matter how boring, and stick to it.

Habit I formed for certain reasons at a young age.

And "Fight Club" = ?

8. Jan 20, 2006 #7

You've never seen Fight Club? Aw, you're missing out.

9. Jan 20, 2006 #8
    omg that sounds perfect, I wouldn't last a sentance lol. Any read for me at night will generally get me sleepy. It gets really annoying when I'm enjoying a book and want to read, but my eyes get so heavy and I succumb to evil need to sleep. Also make sure you read in bed, are all ready to goto bed and have the light on low if you can.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  10. Jan 20, 2006 #9
    Maybe he meant you should join one. Get a good head trauma going and you should be able to sleep no trouble.

11. Jan 20, 2006 #10
    Read War and Peace, and drink lots of milk.

12. Jan 20, 2006 #11
    Essence of turkey, tryptophan, used to come in pill form. Do they still make this?
    Thanksgiving turkey is one of the most powerful, pleasant soporifics in the world.

13. Jan 20, 2006 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ambien or hydrocodone usually do it for me. Failing that, a dose of most antihistamines, notably diphenhydramine, will knock me out. Failing that, a couple of chocolate cake shots (half vodka, half Frangelico, chased with a sugar-coated lemon wedge) will usually make me sleepy in an hour or so.

- Warren

14. Jan 20, 2006 #13

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That actually works (up to a point). Had a pretty good "sparring" session with the boys last night. Slept like a baby. (Of course my left arm is a mass of bruises... but it beats getting a broken rib! Good times.)

15. Jan 20, 2006 #14
    I overreact to sleep medications.
    I already finished War and Peace.
    Fighting hurts. X.x'

Exercise, you mean?

16. Jan 20, 2006 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You can find amino acid supplements at GNC and similar places.

17. Jan 20, 2006 #16
    OK, then, Blahness, you ought to give this a try. A turkey coma is pleasant and gentle.

18. Jan 20, 2006 #17

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would amino acid supplements seriously work?

How about cold/flu medicines for the night time, aren't they supposed to make you drowsy?

19. Jan 20, 2006 #18
    I can read anything and stay awake, but put on an audio book and close my eyes and I'm out in about 5 minutes.
    I used to take a bunch of sleeping pills then force myself to stay awake. I'd hallucinate and see little people who looked like gasoline on water. I could even interact with them. I'd hold out my finger and they would grab onto it then I could swing them back and forth.

20. Jan 20, 2006 #19
    :bugeye:

You aren't saying to drink alcohol while on sleep aids are you???? :surprised :bugeye: :eek:

21. Jan 20, 2006 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, actually, I didn't mean to combine all those drugs together! I simply meant that if I don't have the first on the list, I go for the second, and so on.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?