Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insomnia

1. Jan 25, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

Whats a good cure for insomnia? I have been having tons of trouble getting to sleep before 3AM and tried all these medicines and herbal teas and stuff, but they dont work. The only thing that works is drinking a lot of Jack Daniels, but i have been advised that it isnt a good idea...

what should i do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2004 #2
    I sleep between 3-5 am, which isn't good. Try drinking milk and stay away from the computer.

4. Jan 25, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try being physically extra active during the day - sporting.. your insomnia will disappear real soon..

5. Jan 25, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

i cycle to college every day and play football against myself or a friend at college...thats nowhere near as active as i used to be ....:wink: :wink: :wink: but thats a different story.

What should i do instead of being on the computer, watchin tv wont help will it? nor will reading.. any other suggestions?

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    Get a job ya lazy Bum!

7. Jan 25, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

i have a job!

8. Jan 25, 2004 #7
    Get a proper job, and work longer hours, and come to town, Icon on wednesday nite.

9. Jan 25, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Waking up at 5.30 in the morning and coming home 19:30 in the evening will do the trick, it has worked for me

10. Jan 25, 2004 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chopnik, are you under more stress than usual? How long have you had trouble sleeping?

11. Jan 25, 2004 #10

jimmy p

Gold Member

i was in a little bit of a stress before, but i coped with that by not eating. now the stress is over im eating normally but not sleeping. stupid brain!!

12. Jan 25, 2004 #11
    Can you hook up a TV set in your bedroom? Try watching TV in bed ready to fall asleep anytime.

If you can't set up a TV in your bedroom, get a radio. Listen to "Coast to Coast AM."

Check the nearest radio station which airs the show in your area at the following site:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/info/wheretolisten.html

The show starts at 10 PM and lasts until 5 AM at many places.

The idea is the more stupid/meaningless the show, the better, TV or radio.

13. Jan 25, 2004 #12
    If you don't have a problem, eat a lot of food high in carbohydrate about 1 hour before your intended bedtime.

14. Jan 25, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just do like me and forget about sleep. Its a waste of time anyway.

15. Jan 25, 2004 #14
    There isn't a cure. I've had insomnia since i can remeber (around 4 years old). I have yet to find a solution.

16. Jan 26, 2004 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

thats not a good thing, if there is no cure...oh me oh my, whats a poor boy to do. the problem is that i am dead tired but i just cant seem to get to sleep. i forced myself to go to bed at 3am, and it took until around 4am to get to sleep...then i was woken up at 7.30am

17. Jan 26, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what does your schedule look like? Do you have to get up early? I can never sleep during times of studying, exactly the times that I need the sleep

I was very groggy at my last exam, not having slept in weeks and couldn't even understand the simplest questions: "name three levels of diagnosis" I spent like half an hour staring at that question until finally it came to me they meant on DNA level (mutations) chemical level (kinetics) and cellular level (morphology)..

Basically you need to get rhythm in your day, get up at a fixed time (no matter how little you slept), eat breakfast lunch and diner at certain times, not too late, be physically active.

There definately can be a cure, depending on the cause of the problem, but I sleep fine after a day of work (just came home and it's already 7.30 pm [zz)])..

18. Jan 26, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

I do have a regular schedule, i always wake up at 7.30am apart from at weekends where it is 8 on saturday and 10 on sunday (work). I suppose sometimes i have not been eating too well.

Hmm i am going out a lot more since last week so that has got to be a better thing. I usually go to bed at midnight, but obviously its about 4 hours later than that. Stupid sleep, maybe i oughta do what Ivan suggested and forget about sleeping.

19. Jan 26, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you are going to sleep too late? Sometimes you can get past the point of sleepiness, where you have missed the timeframe at which your brain wanted to sleep, after that you can still be tired but the signal just won't come anymore :(

I find it can help to just go to sleep early one day (8.30 pm worked for me at the time :P)

20. Jan 26, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

i may take that advice about going to bed early once a week, woah Monique you think of everything! but any other advice people?

21. Jan 26, 2004 #20
    ummm...my advice is just give it a while....you'll get used to it....and after however many years i'm finally able to sleep 6 hrs in a night.....course like monique said...havin to get up early and work all day makes a difference....i just have a diff body schedule than eerone else....my body's not tired until early morning and wants to be active early/mid morning so thats when i get up (10 when i can sleep in....and thats just here recently)

But i had my spells of insomnia...just kinda muddled through it tried to sleep when my body was tired and let it just kinda run its course and fix itself sorta

-Ty

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?