Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insomniac Thread # 3

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    Normally i start these at 4 in the morning, but i was busy at 4, so i'll start it now. its 7:36 and i have yet to sleep since thursday night. And i just finished some morning coffee. Mmm, coffee. Any kindred spirits in the PF world this morning?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was out doing groceries at that time.. :tongue:

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3
    Why do so many brag about this nowadays? I don't know.. I for one like sleep - it's refreshing! If I don't get about 7 hrs. of sleep a night, I just feel wasted. But whatever.

5. Apr 16, 2005 #4
    sleep is a weakness

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feel like have completely lost the rhythm during the last couple of weeks .... been going with tops 2-3 hrs at random intervals for quite a bit of time (....and showing in efficiency).... sleeping is pretty much the best hobby I know of, would just like to have a better 'relationship ' with it.

7. Apr 16, 2005 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not sleeping is a weakness

8. Apr 16, 2005 #7
    Yeah sleeping is so relaxing :)
    I get about 10 hours a day unfortunately...sometimes more.
    But i really don't understand how people (unless they have insomnia) can stay awake until 7 or so in the morning.
    Well unless you have an assignment due the next day as well.

9. Apr 16, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

Oh wow--you know if you keep this up you could start to hallucinate. This has been used as a form of torture, called sleep deprivation.

10. Apr 16, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

The most I've ever stayed up is 24 hours. Inbetween, I got some light sleep, but it didn't affect how I felt. :zzz:

11. Apr 17, 2005 #10

I'm going to start?

I don't think there is an affect from sleep deprivation and high caffeine doses i haven't experienced yet (well, except death i suppose).

No respect.

Bragging?

No, more like i was bored, and when i get bored after not sleeping, i make threads about insomnia. Thats all really.

I'm far more productive when i don't sleep actually, i spend that time getting stuff done instead. No where near a sufficient number of hours in the day for me to sleep too.

12. Apr 17, 2005 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, and people who drink say they are better drivers.. you must have a second life if you are so much more productive than other people AND don't sleep (what do you do with all that extra time?). I think you can work much more efficiently when having enough sleep, so there is no need to work long hours.

13. Apr 17, 2005 #12

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Is no one else still awake around here? And you call yourselves insomniacs- tsk, tsk. Edit: Oh, woops, I was too tired to look at the time on your posts. :rofl:

14. Apr 17, 2005 #13

I didn't say i was more efficient. To the contrary, things tend to take longer individually, i just get more of them done. I am more efficient when i sleep. But i still get more done in a 2 day period without sleep than a 2 day period with sleep.

Of course i'm still awake honestrosewater. This is my thread after all, why would i sleep? I was just busy indulging in some WoWcrack with a friend and fellow insomniac down the hall.

15. Apr 17, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

you need to stay awake for 5-6 days to start hallucinating, and even then its a sign that you are getting closer to death

16. Apr 17, 2005 #15
    Well, that does sound like a sweet theory (even though it's hard to say). But wouldn't you agree that you become less efficient the longer you stay up? Then, eventually, you will be able to get more done with less time and more efficiency (that is, sleeping). What now? Sleep? How long? I don't know.. You do what you want; I'm going to sleep during the night.

Of course if you mean 'get more done' in regards to a game.. time is probably more important that efficiency.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  17. Apr 17, 2005 #16
    Sleep is a benefit.

Heh, that is exactly what psychologists and other scientists attribute as today's modern 24/7 society.

http://livescience.com/humanbiology/ap_050329_sleep.html

Sleep helps to rejuvinate your body as well as sort out all the information gathered throughout the day that your brain stores.

In Visions, Michio Kaku explains how sleep is beneficial to the mentalities of advanced neural nets (such as our own).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?