Troubleshooting Solaris 10 Installation on x86 Machine

• Thread starter -Job-
  • Start date
In summary: That should give you some idea of whether or not the network is working.Have you tried pinging the IP address after you see the "green lines" that you assigned the system during install-time from another system on your network? That should give you some idea of whether or not the network is working.
-Job-
Science Advisor
I downloaded & installed Solaris 10 on an x86 machine and it simply doesn't work. It seems to boot up and reach the User login screen. I try to login as root, since i haven't created any users yet, and it just proceeds to a black screen, from which it doesn't exit. I've only installed Solaris for curiosity, so it's not really a big deal, but I'm a little disappointed.
Actually, it may be because i have two video cards and it switches video cards on me. Let me verfiy that possibility.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It often happens in Solaris and Linux. Either your machine cannot respond to them, or it's a bug or there's a problem in what you downloaded. If you downloaded it from the official site it's not that but if you didn't then you'll have to redownload it!

I think the resolution/refresh rate is not configured correctly. When the screen goes black press: CTRL+ALT+F1 to see if you drop down to the console. If you can do that i'll explain how to change your settings.

dduardo said:
I think the resolution/refresh rate is not configured correctly. When the screen goes black press: CTRL+ALT+F1 to see if you drop down to the console. If you can do that i'll explain how to change your settings.

Solaris does not support virtual terminals, although there is a project to add this support.

-Job- said:
I downloaded & installed Solaris 10 on an x86 machine and it simply doesn't work. It seems to boot up and reach the User login screen. I try to login as root, since i haven't created any users yet, and it just proceeds to a black screen, from which it doesn't exit. I've only installed Solaris for curiosity, so it's not really a big deal, but I'm a little disappointed.
Actually, it may be because i have two video cards and it switches video cards on me. Let me verfiy that possibility.

You've stated your problem in a very vague manner. I assume that you've installed Solaris 10 (hopefully, Solaris 10 Update 1, rather than GA). You can tell if you're using Solaris 10 Update 1 or not by seeing if you're using Grub to boot Solaris. If so, append a -s to the 'kernel' line in your Grub configuration. This will boot you into single-user mode, and you can setup X11 correctly.

Right, i haven't had much time to play around with it yet. The screen doesn't go completely black. There's some little green lines all over the screen, like a vector field, and the computer doesn't seem to respond. I know I'm being vague but i haven't had the time to try to resolve this issue so I'm only commenting on this right now. I'll post more about it once i have the time, thanks for the suggestions.

-Job- said:
Right, i haven't had much time to play around with it yet. The screen doesn't go completely black. There's some little green lines all over the screen, like a vector field, and the computer doesn't seem to respond. I know I'm being vague but i haven't had the time to try to resolve this issue so I'm only commenting on this right now. I'll post more about it once i have the time, thanks for the suggestions.

Have you tried pinging the IP address after you see the "green lines" that you assigned the system during install-time from another system on your network?

1. Why is my Solaris 10 installation on an x86 machine failing?

There could be several reasons for a failed installation on an x86 machine. Some common causes include hardware compatibility issues, incorrect BIOS settings, corrupted installation media, or insufficient disk space.

2. How do I troubleshoot hardware compatibility issues during the installation?

You can check the compatibility of your hardware with Solaris 10 by referring to the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) provided by Oracle. If your hardware is not listed, it may not be supported by Solaris 10.

3. What BIOS settings should be checked before attempting the installation?

Make sure that your BIOS settings are configured to support the installation of Solaris 10 on an x86 machine. This includes enabling the virtualization technology, setting the boot order to boot from the installation media, and disabling any secure boot or fast boot options.

4. How can I ensure that my installation media is not corrupted?

To ensure the integrity of your installation media, you can perform a checksum verification using the md5sum or sha256sum commands. These commands will generate a checksum value that can be compared with the value provided by Oracle on the download page.

5. What should I do if there is not enough disk space for the installation?

If you encounter an error stating that there is insufficient disk space for the installation, you can try using a different disk or partition with enough space. You can also try using the ZFS file system, which has a feature called "sparse root" that can help save disk space during the installation process.