Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installed SPYBOT

1. Mar 24, 2004 #1

wolram

Gold Member

i have just installed SPYBOT after reading a thread started
    by AHRKRON, it found 48 of the L--B--s, who collects all this
    information? is it transmitted every time i log on? glad i
    read posts in soft ware.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2004 #2
    Re: spybot

Nowadays 9/10 if a computer connected to the internet has been acting quirky and slow it is due to spyware, it really is becoming a big problem. People should take it as serious as getting an anti-virus program. adware is another good program for dectecting and destroying spyware, but it tends to be slow, so i use spybot.

4. Mar 25, 2004 #3
    my little brother's computer has sooooo much spyware on it that it takes 15 mins to load when windows boots up.

5. Mar 26, 2004 #4

wolram

Gold Member

DARK ANT.
    help the guy out and download SPYBOT its fast and an amazingly simple
    to use.

6. Mar 26, 2004 #5
    Mostly because he's not the nicest person in the world and doesn't deserve any help (he's a little punk who needs to wash his mouth out with soap). I use both spybot and ad-aware. Paranoia pays off

7. Mar 26, 2004 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Maybe you guys should use open source products versus proprietary ones. Atleast with open source you can take out any unwanted features.

Microsoft could also be doing much more to protect users from spyware such as disabling active-x by default, not allowing just any program to add itself to the boot process, and building a better firewall that alerts the user when programs are trying to access a port.

Perhaps a more proactive solution to spyware would be to build a database of all known spyware programs. Then someone would need to develop an application that looks at the files that the user wants to download and compares the program descriptions/md5 checksum to the database and warns the user that the program contains spyware if there is a match.

8. Mar 27, 2004 #7

wolram

Gold Member

DDURADO.
    Maybe you guys should use open source products versus proprietary ones. Atleast with open source you can take out any unwanted features.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the bottom line in my case, is that I'm fed up with windows, especially
    security issues, i would change to another OS in a second, but i am
    afraid to, because i dont understand all the issues of compatibility
    and user friendliness, all i want is fast internet and a basic office
    utility, that doesn't crash or get infected every time i log on.

9. Mar 27, 2004 #8

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet not 10% of Windows/IE users have even heard of Active-X, let alone what it does or how to disable it!

10. Mar 27, 2004 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

wolram, If you want to try out linux to see what capatability it has, I suggest downloading the ISO image of Knoppix from here:

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44

You can use Nero, Easy Cd Creator, etc to burn the image. Then restart the computer with the disk inside your cdrom drive and hit the button to go into your bios. Make sure that the cdrom boots first. Save the settings and reboot. You computer should startup with linux and give you some options. You should just be able to press enter to go on. The cd will detect all your settings and place itself in RAM. You can then get the feeling of how things work in linux. You will have access to two office suites: Open Office and K Office, XMMS audio player, the Gimp for imaging, Knoqueror for web browsing, and much much more.

The other option is to download the windows version of Open Office from here:

http://www.openoffice.org/

The gimp from here:

http://www.gimp.org/

And Mozilla Firefox from here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Just to see if you like the applications and does everything you need it to do.

11. Mar 27, 2004 #10

wolram

Gold Member

thanks DDURADO,
    i am getting new PC soon so i have saved a copy of your post,
    hopefully then i will have a decent PC and OS, and maybe keep
    what remains of my hair.

12. Mar 29, 2004 #11
    ya opensource is great. i use spybot too but the thing is that spybot can remove certain spyware apps that are necessary for other apps to work, such as iMesh and that can cause the program to stop working.

13. Mar 30, 2004 #12
    I use to be one of those ignorant Mac "Switchees"

Now I've learned. There is nothing wrong with Microsoft's safety. The technology is advancing perfectly. I use to have Office issues as well, until I took better care of Windows.

Here's the proof

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  14. Mar 31, 2004 #13

wolram

Gold Member

must be BGs talking or one of his PR men, i have a stack of security
    software to download every month, as for windows ,give me a sieve
    any day, it holds more weather at bay.

15. Mar 31, 2004 #14

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is such a great line
    :biggrin: Do you mind if I pass this on?

16. Mar 31, 2004 #15
    If spyware gets to my system, I use the free program Adaware. Comes in handy when some company and their precious advertising wants to ruin my internet experience.

17. Apr 1, 2004 #16

wolram

Gold Member

by NEREID.

That is such a great line
    Do you mind if I pass this on?

pleases feel free. :biggrin:

18. Apr 1, 2004 #17
    make sure youre getting the program called

SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY

the other spybot program is spyware itself and costs money.

19. Apr 1, 2004 #18

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Ok, I think this thread has gone far enough. I think I'll clean it up and close it.

It was fun while it lasted

Wolram, Sorry for hijacking your thread :frown:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?