Installed SPYBOT - Found 48 L--B--s?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of spyware and its impact on computers connected to the internet. The participants recommend using anti-spyware programs such as Spybot and Ad-Aware to combat this problem. There is also a discussion about the possibility of using open source products instead of proprietary ones. Some users express frustration with Windows and its security issues, while others defend its safety and recommend taking better care of the system. The conversation also touches on the topic of switching to a different operating system, with some users expressing interest but also apprehension due to compatibility and user-friendliness concerns.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i have just installed SPYBOT after reading a thread started
by AHRKRON, it found 48 of the L--B--s, who collects all this
information? is it transmitted every time i log on? glad i
read posts in soft ware.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by wolram
i have just installed SPYBOT after reading a thread started
by AHRKRON, it found 48 of the L--B--s, who collects all this
information? is it transmitted every time i log on? glad i
read posts in soft ware.

Nowadays 9/10 if a computer connected to the internet has been acting quirky and slow it is due to spyware, it really is becoming a big problem. People should take it as serious as getting an anti-virus program. adware is another good program for dectecting and destroying spyware, but it tends to be slow, so i use spybot.

my little brother's computer has sooooo much spyware on it that it takes 15 mins to load when windows boots up.

DARK ANT.
help the guy out and download SPYBOT its fast and an amazingly simple
to use.

Mostly because he's not the nicest person in the world and doesn't deserve any help (he's a little punk who needs to wash his mouth out with soap). I use both spybot and ad-aware. Paranoia pays off

Maybe you guys should use open source products versus proprietary ones. Atleast with open source you can take out any unwanted features.

Microsoft could also be doing much more to protect users from spyware such as disabling active-x by default, not allowing just any program to add itself to the boot process, and building a better firewall that alerts the user when programs are trying to access a port.

Perhaps a more proactive solution to spyware would be to build a database of all known spyware programs. Then someone would need to develop an application that looks at the files that the user wants to download and compares the program descriptions/md5 checksum to the database and warns the user that the program contains spyware if there is a match.

DDURADO.
Maybe you guys should use open source products versus proprietary ones. Atleast with open source you can take out any unwanted features.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the bottom line in my case, is that I'm fed up with windows, especially
security issues, i would change to another OS in a second, but i am
afraid to, because i don't understand all the issues of compatibility
and user friendliness, all i want is fast internet and a basic office
utility, that doesn't crash or get infected every time i log on.

dduardo said:
*SNIP

Microsoft could also be doing much more to protect users from spyware such as disabling active-x by default, not allowing just any program to add itself to the boot process, and building a better firewall that alerts the user when programs are trying to access a port.

*SNAP
I bet not 10% of Windows/IE users have even heard of Active-X, let alone what it does or how to disable it!

wolram, If you want to try out linux to see what capatability it has, I suggest downloading the ISO image of Knoppix from here:

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44

You can use Nero, Easy Cd Creator, etc to burn the image. Then restart the computer with the disk inside your cdrom drive and hit the button to go into your bios. Make sure that the cdrom boots first. Save the settings and reboot. You computer should startup with linux and give you some options. You should just be able to press enter to go on. The cd will detect all your settings and place itself in RAM. You can then get the feeling of how things work in linux. You will have access to two office suites: Open Office and K Office, XMMS audio player, the Gimp for imaging, Knoqueror for web browsing, and much much more.

The other option is to download the windows version of Open Office from here:

http://www.openoffice.org/

The gimp from here:

http://www.gimp.org/

And Mozilla Firefox from here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Just to see if you like the applications and does everything you need it to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks DDURADO,
i am getting new PC soon so i have saved a copy of your post,
hopefully then i will have a decent PC and OS, and maybe keep
what remains of my hair.

ya opensource is great. i use spybot too but the thing is that spybot can remove certain spyware apps that are necessary for other apps to work, such as iMesh and that can cause the program to stop working.

the bottom line in my case, is that I'm fed up with windows, especially
security issues, i would change to another OS in a second, but i am
afraid to, because i don't understand all the issues of compatibility
and user friendliness, all i want is fast internet and a basic office
utility, that doesn't crash or get infected every time i log on.

I use to be one of those ignorant Mac "Switchees"

Now I've learned. There is nothing wrong with Microsoft's safety. The technology is advancing perfectly. I use to have Office issues as well, until I took better care of Windows.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1537357,00.asp

Last edited:
must be BGs talking or one of his PR men, i have a stack of security
software to download every month, as for windows ,give me a sieve
any day, it holds more weather at bay.

wolram said:
... as for windows ,give me a sieve any day, it holds more weather at bay.
That is such a great line
:biggrin: Do you mind if I pass this on?

If spyware gets to my system, I use the free program Adaware. Comes in handy when some company and their precious advertising wants to ruin my internet experience.

by NEREID.

That is such a great line
Do you mind if I pass this on?

pleases feel free. :biggrin:

make sure youre getting the program called

SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY

the other spybot program is spyware itself and costs money.

Ok, I think this thread has gone far enough. I think I'll clean it up and close it.

It was fun while it lasted

Wolram, Sorry for hijacking your thread :frown:

Last edited:

1. What does "Installed SPYBOT - Found 48 L--B--s" mean?

"Installed SPYBOT" refers to the installation of a popular anti-spyware software program called Spybot Search and Destroy. "Found 48 L--B--s" means that during a scan, the program detected 48 potential spyware or malware threats on the computer.

2. How did these "L--B--s" get on my computer?

Spyware and malware can enter a computer through various means, such as downloading infected files, clicking on malicious links, or visiting unsafe websites. It is important to have a reliable anti-spyware program to protect against these threats.

3. Are these "L--B--s" harmful to my computer?

Yes, these "L--B--s" can be harmful to your computer as they can steal personal information, slow down your system, and cause other issues. It is crucial to remove them as soon as possible.

4. How do I remove these "L--B--s" from my computer?

You can remove the detected "L--B--s" by following the prompts in the Spybot program. It may also be helpful to run a full system scan and remove any other potential threats.

5. Can I prevent these "L--B--s" from appearing on my computer in the future?

There are steps you can take to prevent spyware and malware from entering your computer, such as being cautious of what you download and click on, keeping your operating system and antivirus software up to date, and regularly running scans with an anti-spyware program like Spybot.