Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing Linux

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    I have a SINGLE partition with Windows XP professional. I want to keep it and install one of the Linux versions. How can I repartition my hard drive without losing data and then install Linux.

Please help
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2005 #2
    I think the best thing you can do is to get a copy of Partition Magic and resize your partition using that. You could also get another hard drive and install Linux on that instead.
  4. Jul 10, 2005 #3
    I would but it costs $$$. And I am a student.
  5. Jul 10, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jul 10, 2005 #5
    Thank you all for the help :smile:
  7. Jul 10, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

Most modern distros contain their own partitioning software that can resize NTFS and FAT32 partitions. I know for certain that Mandrake (or Mandriva, now) Linux can do this. No guarantees about safety though.

I always use Partition Magic for no worry resizing, it's reliable and clear. I shrink my Win partitions and install Linux on the freed up space, write the boot loader (I've used both LILO and GRUB at different times) to the MBR and point it to the correct boot partition.
  8. Jul 10, 2005 #7
    Use VMware, not too long ago I installed Ubuntu and it works perfectly normal for me. Maybe it could run a little faster if i ran it from a fresh install. VMware automatically creates a partition for the linux distribution that you want to run. I think you should give it a shot.
  9. Jul 11, 2005 #8
    Partition Magic does one thing best, gives the best interface there is to create a partition. Ofcourse cheaper ways do exist, and one of them is
    Ranish Partition Manager

Notice : Experienced user preferred.

-- AI
  10. Jul 11, 2005 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While Ranish Partition Manager can create partitions, note
    So, the original poster will still need something like ntfsresize. Of course, the non-free Partition Magic can do both resize NTFS partitions and create partitions.

More interesting-reading:
  11. Jul 15, 2005 #10
    Problems pouring in.
    I have intel processor 640 (3.2GHz 64 bit)

Since I don't have a floppy drive or much experience with repartitioning, I downloaded the SystemRescue CD. It won't run. It says "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init". Does anyone know of a intel 64bit compatible edition of Linux which can resize partitions too.

Are Knoppix 64 and SuSe 64 intel compatible? I have always seen them in reference to AMD 64 bit
  12. Jul 15, 2005 #11
    Well XP provides options for both NTFS as well as FAT during installation but yeah i guess if he is using NTFS then ranish wont help at all.

-- AI
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?