Install Linux on Windows XP Without Data Loss

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary: XP provides options for both NTFS as well as FAT during installation but yeah i guess if he is using NTFS then ranish won't help at all.
sid_galt
I have a SINGLE partition with Windows XP professional. I want to keep it and install one of the Linux versions. How can I repartition my hard drive without losing data and then install Linux.

Please help
Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think the best thing you can do is to get a copy of Partition Magic and resize your partition using that. You could also get another hard drive and install Linux on that instead.

I would but it costs $$$. And I am a student.

Thank you all for the help :smile:

Most modern distros contain their own partitioning software that can resize NTFS and FAT32 partitions. I know for certain that Mandrake (or Mandriva, now) Linux can do this. No guarantees about safety though.

I always use Partition Magic for no worry resizing, it's reliable and clear. I shrink my Win partitions and install Linux on the freed up space, write the boot loader (I've used both LILO and GRUB at different times) to the MBR and point it to the correct boot partition.

Use VMware, not too long ago I installed Ubuntu and it works perfectly normal for me. Maybe it could run a little faster if i ran it from a fresh install. VMware automatically creates a partition for the linux distribution that you want to run. I think you should give it a shot.

Partition Magic does one thing best, gives the best interface there is to create a partition. Ofcourse cheaper ways do exist, and one of them is
http://www.ranish.com/part/

Notice : Experienced user preferred.

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
Partition Magic does one thing best, gives the best interface there is to create a partition. Ofcourse cheaper ways do exist, and one of them is
http://www.ranish.com/part/

Notice : Experienced user preferred.

-- AI

While Ranish Partition Manager can create partitions, note
[PLAIN said:
http://www.ranish.com/part/faq.htm][/PLAIN] [Broken]
Can RPM work with NTFS?
=======================

RPM can only create/boot an NTFS partition. No formatting/resizing
can be done through RPM.
So, the original poster will still need something like ntfsresize. Of course, the non-free Partition Magic can do both resize NTFS partitions and create partitions.

More interesting-reading:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Filesystems/ntfs.html
http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25327

Last edited by a moderator:
Problems pouring in.
I have intel processor 640 (3.2GHz 64 bit)

Since I don't have a floppy drive or much experience with repartitioning, I downloaded the SystemRescue CD. It won't run. It says "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init". Does anyone know of a intel 64bit compatible edition of Linux which can resize partitions too.

Are Knoppix 64 and SuSe 64 intel compatible? I have always seen them in reference to AMD 64 bit

robphy said:
So, the original poster will still need something like ntfsresize. Of course, the non-free Partition Magic can do both resize NTFS partitions and create partitions.
Well XP provides options for both NTFS as well as FAT during installation but yeah i guess if he is using NTFS then ranish won't help at all.

-- AI

1. How can I install Linux on my Windows XP without losing any data?

To install Linux on your Windows XP without losing any data, you can use a virtual machine software like VirtualBox or VMware. These programs allow you to create a virtual environment on your computer where you can install Linux without affecting your current operating system or data. You can also dual-boot your computer, which allows you to choose which operating system to use at startup.

2. Can I install Linux on my Windows XP without formatting my hard drive?

Yes, you can install Linux on your Windows XP without formatting your hard drive. As mentioned before, using a virtual machine or dual-booting are options that do not require formatting your hard drive. Another option is to use a Live CD or USB, which allows you to run Linux from a CD or USB without making any changes to your hard drive.

3. Is it possible to install Linux on my Windows XP without losing my Windows XP operating system?

Yes, it is possible to install Linux on your Windows XP without losing your Windows XP operating system. As mentioned earlier, using a virtual machine or dual-booting are options that allow you to keep your Windows XP operating system while also installing Linux. However, it is always recommended to backup your important files before making any changes to your computer.

4. Can I install Linux on my Windows XP if I have limited computer knowledge?

Yes, you can still install Linux on your Windows XP even if you have limited computer knowledge. There are many user-friendly Linux distributions available that are designed for beginners. These distributions come with easy-to-use installation processes and user-friendly interfaces, making it easier for those with limited computer knowledge to install and use Linux.

5. Will installing Linux on my Windows XP affect the performance of my computer?

Installing Linux on your Windows XP may affect the performance of your computer, depending on the system requirements and the distribution you choose. However, using a virtual machine or dual-booting can minimize the impact on your computer's performance. Additionally, Linux is known for its lightweight nature, so it may actually improve the performance of older computers compared to running Windows XP alone.