Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing Microsoft Office

1. Jan 17, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently bought a new computer, but somehow the only programs installed were very basic: Word and Internet Explorer together with Photo Editor, Paint etc.

Access and Powerpoint and Excel weren't installed.

So now I want to install a version of Office that DOES include these additional software programs, but I am not sure if I will loose the stuff that was already on my computer when I install a different Office??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2004 #2
    No, you won't loose any of your documents!

First what version of Office you are going to install?

Office97, Office 2000, or Office XP ???

If you install again without manual intall (not typical) then you may not get the other softwares :(

Hey! Got that template zip?

4. Jan 17, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not talking about my documents. I am just not sure how Office works, whether it uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one after that.

I want to install Office 2003, right now I am not sure what I have, Office 10 or something?

So programs such as Photo editor, Paint, etc are all part of Windows and not Office?

5. Jan 17, 2004 #4
    Hmm...Office 10 I didn't hear about that :(

Yes! You are correct :)

And if now you've got Office2003 I think now while installing you'll select Manual Installation....and then....select what you need!

It includes: MS Word, Access, Exell, FrontPage, OutLook, PowerPoint!

This time must install FrontPage...then you'll get all the templates you need do make a cute Web Site :)

6. Jan 17, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's already cute!!!! :wink:

I don't have the Office CD yet.. but I have to give a presentation in a week so it would be nice to have powerpoint on my computer :P I can get a cheap CD since I am a student..

I've never heard of Office 10 either :P I guess that is the package that just includes Word :(

7. Jan 17, 2004 #6
    Ok! Ok! Don't cry It's Already Cute :wink:

Hey! You haven't got Office CD yet! I thougt Office is a must need thing for general users (Except Linux or Non-Windows users).

And each and every Office must include Word...or nobody will buy it :wink:

8. Jan 17, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know, at first I had withdrawel signs by not having access to Powerpoint, Excel, and Access.. then I found an old CD with Excel '98 on it and installed that.. still missing Powerpoint and Excel though I should get PhotoShop too though, Paint is just not cutting it

Actually I had a €100 gift certificate that came with the computer to be spent at a electronics store.. I could've bought some software.. instead I bought a mp3 player, which I haven't seen yet (I ordered it 3 weeks ago :().

9. Jan 17, 2004 #8
    Hmm...Photoshop is very useful software, I use it for years!

Did you buy that player in online marketting?

Oh! Here in Bangladesh students can't have credit cards...and there are many useful books I find from Amazon...but again...no credit card :(

Besides...here I think parcels are not delevered correctly :(
    I've registerred with ACM, they told me they will send me the membership card in a week...1 month has passed :(

Hmm... buy some good softwares...hey! Why don't you buy few softwares which may be useful in your research works???

10. Jan 17, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I want to have EndNote, but I won't need it in a while though :) .. I think ..

I bought the player in a store, good store, but they aren't so fast over here.. it took 3 weeks for my notebook to appear (which was actually my luck, otherwise I would't have been given a gift certificate)..

11. Jan 19, 2004 #10
    Fortunately for me, being a student I got the Office XP Professional free of charge.

12. Jan 20, 2004 #11
    No. You are incorrect.
    Photo Editor is part of the Office Suite.
    Has been since v5.0 or so.

13. Jan 20, 2004 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For FREE???! I have to pay €18 for a one year student license, which WILL expire, what are these people thinking?

In the store I can get discount, but will cost a huge amount of money, I'll go and bother some friends of mine :P

14. Jan 20, 2004 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Bah, who buys software nowadays. Just download a copy from the internet. Or you could use OpenOffice instead.

15. Jan 20, 2004 #14
    Hmm...GNU lovers

What about Star Office ???

16. Jan 20, 2004 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Openoffice is based on Star Office code. They are basically one and the same.

17. Jan 20, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ok, installed, the computer hasn't crashed yet ;)

18. Jan 20, 2004 #17
    Yes, my school has a special agreement with Microsoft and I just had to sign some papers.

Are there any stores in your area that offer some kind of rebate?
    Yay! I just saw a warez store selling it for 30 dollars :wink:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?