Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing more RAM than

1. Jul 20, 2005 #1
    Installing more RAM than....

Im trying to install 1.5 gb of ram on a computer that the factory says can only handle 1.0 gb. Now, if i try it and it doesnt work then im out 15% of 93 bucks for a restocking fee (cheap basterds). So I am wondering if anyone has done this before and know someway that it can work. This is not a 1.5 gb stick, but right now i have 512 in and just bought a 1 gb stick. So in total 1.5 gb.

All and any help appreciated....
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

A bios update may do it, but other than that, you're probably out of luck.
  4. Jul 20, 2005 #3
    If it does not work at all, then remove the 512MB module and try using the 1GB module by itself.
  5. Jul 20, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I think the motherboard probably has 2 spaces for RAM that are only capable of handling 512MB RAM sticks.
  6. Jul 21, 2005 #5
    Thats it. Spose to only hold 2 512.
  7. Aug 9, 2005 #6
    It's probably a hardware impediment. If the board can only handle DIMMs up to 512MB, then the 1GB stick likely won't work at all.
  8. Aug 9, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus

Sell the extra 512MB memory on ebay.
  9. Aug 9, 2005 #8
    If the hardware only recognizes 512MB per slot, then the new memory may not be recognizable at all by the machine.
  10. Aug 10, 2005 #9
    I would be careful here. It is possible that certain 512 chips wont work either. It sounds like the chip density is the limiting factor here.
  11. Aug 10, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Yah the 1gb chip probably wouldnt even work on its own....

i wonder what happened to the OP
  12. Aug 12, 2005 #11
    Mobos are programmed to run with a certain amount of everything and set at speeds. It probably wont work, and even if it did it would be very dangerous to run. (fry your mobo.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?