Installing more RAM than

Main Question or Discussion Point

Installing more RAM than....

Im trying to install 1.5 gb of ram on a computer that the factory says can only handle 1.0 gb. Now, if i try it and it doesnt work then im out 15% of 93 bucks for a restocking fee (cheap basterds). So I am wondering if anyone has done this before and know someway that it can work. This is not a 1.5 gb stick, but right now i have 512 in and just bought a 1 gb stick. So in total 1.5 gb.

All and any help appreciated....
Tom

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
A bios update may do it, but other than that, you're probably out of luck.

If it does not work at all, then remove the 512MB module and try using the 1GB module by itself.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
hitssquad said:
If it does not work at all, then remove the 512MB module and try using the 1GB module by itself.
I think the motherboard probably has 2 spaces for RAM that are only capable of handling 512MB RAM sticks.

Pengwuino said:
I think the motherboard probably has 2 spaces for RAM that are only capable of handling 512MB RAM sticks.
Thats it. Spose to only hold 2 512.

It's probably a hardware impediment. If the board can only handle DIMMs up to 512MB, then the 1GB stick likely won't work at all.

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Sell the extra 512MB memory on ebay.

dduardo said:
Sell the extra 512MB memory on ebay.
If the hardware only recognizes 512MB per slot, then the new memory may not be recognizable at all by the machine.

I would be careful here. It is possible that certain 512 chips wont work either. It sounds like the chip density is the limiting factor here.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Townsend said:
I would be careful here. It is possible that certain 512 chips wont work either. It sounds like the chip density is the limiting factor here.
Yah the 1gb chip probably wouldnt even work on its own....

i wonder what happened to the OP

Mobos are programmed to run with a certain amount of everything and set at speeds. It probably wont work, and even if it did it would be very dangerous to run. (fry your mobo.)