Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing RAM

1. Aug 11, 2004 #1
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with the last problem.

Now, I'm trying to add 256mb ram into my sony vaio laptop. It currently has 128mb.

Question 1) I heard somewhere that if you have 2 sticks of ram in a comp, they have to be exactly the same type, etc. The guy at COMP USA told me that doesn't matter, I can stick the 256 right next to the 128 and be fine. Just want to double check that.

Question 2) How do I do it? The screws are so freakin tiny, I've gone all the way down to a tiny eyeglass screw driver thing and that's still too big.

That's all for now,

Thanks all

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2004 #2
    answer 1) No you can have different sizes of RAM sitting next to each other....

answer 2) Take it to a shop that deals with PC repairs, if you are unable to open the laptop successfully :-)
  4. Aug 12, 2004 #3
    It used to be that way. But with SDRAM (including DDR), you don't have to.
  5. Aug 12, 2004 #4
    I will say this though; take the installation seriously. Ground yourself, watch for problems, don't fiddle around with it if you can't get it in comfortably. It's a simple procedure, but man, you can really damage your computer if you do it wrong.
  6. Aug 12, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

2. Buy a cheap precision screwdriver set - any hardware store, decent computer store, or Radio Shack will have one.
  7. Aug 13, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

yep, walmart sells a nice lil set of screwdrivers, I'm pretty sure resist magnetism, and get very, very small. The smallest one I have looks just slightly larger then a needle.
  8. Aug 14, 2004 #7
    You have to buy special RAM for laptops, then you have to pull a "door" you have under your laptop and put the module there :)
  9. Aug 30, 2004 #8

E.G. If you mix 512M PC2100 with 512M PC3700, you will still have 1024M worth of memory, however you will be limited by the speed of the PC2100. Therefore, your total memory size will be impacted, but your speed will not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?