Installing Underwater turbines

In summary, a civil engineering student is conducting a feasibility study on installing underwater electricity generating turbines near a bridge. The cables will run along the bridge and need to be connected to a transformer to adjust the phase, voltage, and power range of 35kVA. The student is unsure of what type of cables, connectors, and transformers are needed and plans to contact a manufacturer for assistance. The power output from the tidal energy will not be uniform throughout the day. Some additional factors to consider include temperature, conduit, voltage, current, frequency, surge withstand, exposure to abrasion or trauma, length over and under water, allowable inductance, capacitance, resistance, and tension.
hardworker
I'm doing a feasibility study on installing underwater electricity generating turbines. Being a civil engineering student, I don't know much of anything about the electrical engineering aspect of this. Now, these turbines are supposed to be near the bridge so most of the cables will be run along the bridge out of the water. I'm guessing these cables need to go to a transformer to get them into the right phase, voltage etc. We're dealing with power on the 35kVA range.

What I'm asking is what sort of cables, connectors and transformers I will need. Or at least what information I need before I can make that decision. Thanks

Also, it's probably important for me to say that since these turbines run off of tidal energy, the power output won't be uniform over the entire day

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just to name a few,

max/min temperature,
Conduit?
Max voltage,
Max current,
Max/min frequency,
Surge withstand,
Exposure to abrasion or trauma, bending, marine life,
Length over and under water,
Allowable inductance and capacitance and resistance.
Tension

But I would contact a manufacturer and ask them to help me make a selection.

Likes scottdave

1. How do underwater turbines work?

Underwater turbines work by harnessing the kinetic energy from the flow of water to generate electricity. The turbine blades are rotated by the water flow, which turns a rotor connected to a generator, producing electricity.

2. What are the benefits of installing underwater turbines?

Installing underwater turbines allows for the production of clean and renewable energy without the use of fossil fuels. It also has minimal impact on the environment and marine life compared to other forms of energy production.

3. How are underwater turbines installed?

Underwater turbines are typically installed on the seafloor using a foundation or anchoring system. The turbines are then connected to power cables that run to the shore, where the electricity can be distributed to homes and businesses.

4. What factors are considered when choosing a location for underwater turbines?

The location for installing underwater turbines must have a strong and consistent water flow, as well as a suitable depth for the turbines. Environmental and marine life impacts are also taken into consideration, as well as the proximity to a power grid for easy connection.

5. What are the potential challenges of installing underwater turbines?

Some potential challenges of installing underwater turbines include high installation and maintenance costs, as well as potential impacts on marine life and the environment. Adequate research and planning must be done to ensure the most suitable and sustainable location for installation.