Can water be instantly vaporized without reaching its boiling point?

In summary, the conversation discussed various personal flying devices invented by the military, including the Hiller's flying platform and a jet pack that used steam. The speaker was unsure of the jet pack's name and how it worked, but was curious if there was a liquid that could be combined with water to vaporize it without reaching its boiling point. Another person suggested that concentrated H2O2 might have been used as a catalyst, which could produce steam and oxygen as non-toxic byproducts.
GTeclips
Hello,

I recall watching a show that discussed several personal flying devise the military had invented over the years. One of them was the Hiller's flying platform, but there was another that they mentioned. It was a jet pack of sorts (I can't recall it's name) and it used steam. I don't know if I remember how it worked, but if I am right, it would combine water and some other substance and the water would instantly vaporize.

I'm not as much interested in a reference as to what the jet pack was called or if I misunderstood how it worked (Although I probably did). I wish to know if there is some liquid that can be combined with water to vaporize it without reaching it's boiling point?

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can lower the boiling point by adding other low boiling liquid (like ethanol for example), but it won't vaporize the water. For that you need a lot of energy, regardless of the temperature.

I suspect it was concentrated H2O2. A catalyst triggered decomposition of Hydrogen peroxide can be very violent (even explosive if confined). The products are H2O (steam if hot enough) and O2, basically non-toxic.

1. How does instant vaporization of water occur?

Instant vaporization of water occurs when liquid water is heated to its boiling point and quickly changes into water vapor. This process is also known as boiling.

2. What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. However, this can vary depending on altitude and atmospheric pressure.

3. Can water instantly vaporize at room temperature?

No, water cannot instantly vaporize at room temperature. The boiling point of water must be reached in order for vaporization to occur.

4. What factors can affect the rate of instant vaporization of water?

The rate of instant vaporization of water can be affected by the temperature of the water, atmospheric pressure, and the surface area of the water exposed to heat.

5. What are the applications of instant vaporization of water?

Instant vaporization of water has many applications, such as in cooking, steam engines, and distillation processes. It is also used in industrial settings for heating and cooling purposes.