1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous communication

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    I'm working on an illustrative analogy for instantaneous communication by entangled particles.

I am planning to write something along these lines, but I want to see if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something here:

"Imagine a rod that is connected in a frictionless and weightless environment between two distant points. The rod is solid, with a material that is so dense that it will not compress.

An operator (sender) at one end taps a morse-code message to a receiver at the other end. The rod moves easily with each tap, and thus, the message is communicated instantaneously between the sender and receiver - because the rod connects the two locations..."

Is there some reason this would not work?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, there's no such thing. :H

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    So that is the problem with this example - there will be a compression wave that moves at no faster than C?

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

jtbell

Bingo! :biggrin:

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5
    Awesome, thanks for the quick help. That saved me some grief :rolleyes:

7. Oct 7, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I might be wrong but i believe the wave would only move at about the speed of sound in the material of the rod.

8. Oct 7, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup exactly .. the speed of sound relative to the density of the rod's composition

9. Oct 7, 2015 #8

Dale

10. Oct 8, 2015 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This video might also interest you:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook