Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous communication

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    I'm working on an illustrative analogy for instantaneous communication by entangled particles.

I am planning to write something along these lines, but I want to see if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something here:

"Imagine a rod that is connected in a frictionless and weightless environment between two distant points. The rod is solid, with a material that is so dense that it will not compress.

An operator (sender) at one end taps a morse-code message to a receiver at the other end. The rod moves easily with each tap, and thus, the message is communicated instantaneously between the sender and receiver - because the rod connects the two locations..."

Is there some reason this would not work?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, there's no such thing. :H

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    So that is the problem with this example - there will be a compression wave that moves at no faster than C?

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

jtbell

Bingo! :biggrin:

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5
    Awesome, thanks for the quick help. That saved me some grief :rolleyes:

7. Oct 7, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I might be wrong but i believe the wave would only move at about the speed of sound in the material of the rod.

8. Oct 7, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup exactly .. the speed of sound relative to the density of the rod's composition

9. Oct 7, 2015 #8

Dale

10. Oct 8, 2015 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This video might also interest you:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook