How can reference frames help solve problems involving velocities and distances?

• Thread starter Warwick
  • Start date
In summary, the first problem involves two runners starting at different positions and running towards each other at different speeds. To solve it, we can consider the situation from one of the runner's point of view and use the combined speed to determine the time and distance they meet. In the second problem, a tortoise and hare race with different speeds and the hare takes a rest for 2 minutes. By considering their relative positions and speeds, we can determine the length of the race and the time it takes for the tortoise to win by 20 cm.
Warwick
Hello, I was doing the chapter review and a few problems gave me trouble. I forgot this is the wrong forum, err, please move it, I am sorry.

1.) Runner A is initially 4.0 mi west of a flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 6.0 mi/h due east. Runner B is initially 3.0 mi east of the flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 5.0 mi/h due west. How far are the runners from the flagpole when they meet.

2.)A tortoise can run with a speed of .10m/s and a hare can run 20 times as fast. In a race, they both start at the same time, but the hair stops to rest for 2.0 mintures. The tortoise wins by 20 cm. a. How long does the race take? b. What is the length of the race?

I'm sure i'll have more by the end of tonight :cry: . If you can work these out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

The key in both problems is to consider differenct reference frames, i.e. change what point of view you look at the problem from. For example in the first one, one is running east at 6mi/h, and the other west at 5mi/h. If you look at it from the first person's point of view though, he (or she) sees the other person coming closer at the combined speed of 11mi/h. You can then work out times and distances and stuff.

The second one is a bit more complicated, but uses the same principle. It doesn't matter when the hare rests, as it takes the same amount of time wherever it happens. Let's say it rest at the start for convenience. Work out how far away they are from each other when the hare starts running. Then work out how fast the one is relative to the other, and then get times.

Reference frames can help solve problems involving velocities and distances by providing a fixed point of reference for the motion of objects. In the first problem, the reference frame is the flagpole. By establishing this fixed point, we can track the positions and velocities of the runners relative to the flagpole. This allows us to use the concept of relative motion to determine when and where the runners will meet. We can also use the reference frame to calculate the distance between the runners and the flagpole at any given time.

In the second problem, the reference frame can be the starting point of the race. By using this as a fixed point, we can track the positions and velocities of the tortoise and the hare relative to the starting point. This allows us to determine how long the race takes and the length of the race. Additionally, we can use the reference frame to calculate the distance between the tortoise and the hare at any given time, taking into account the hare's rest period.

In both problems, reference frames help to simplify the complex motion of the objects and allow us to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This makes it easier to apply mathematical equations and concepts to solve the problems. Without a reference frame, it would be much more difficult to accurately determine the distances and velocities of the objects involved.

What is the "Instantaneous V Problem"?

The "Instantaneous V Problem" refers to the sudden drop in the velocity of an object that occurs instantaneously at a specific point in time. This can be observed in motion graphs as a sharp change in the slope of the line representing velocity.

What causes the "Instantaneous V Problem"?

The "Instantaneous V Problem" is caused by a sudden change in the acceleration of an object. This can happen when an external force is applied to the object or when the object changes direction.

How can the "Instantaneous V Problem" be solved or avoided?

To solve or avoid the "Instantaneous V Problem", it is important to carefully analyze the motion of the object and identify the point where the sudden change in velocity occurs. This can be done by examining the acceleration of the object and determining the cause of the sudden change. In some cases, adjusting the motion or applying a smoother force can help avoid the problem.

What are some real-life examples of the "Instantaneous V Problem"?

The "Instantaneous V Problem" can be observed in a variety of real-life situations, such as a car suddenly stopping or changing direction, a rollercoaster suddenly dropping, or a baseball player catching a ball and quickly changing its direction.

Why is the "Instantaneous V Problem" important to understand in physics?

The "Instantaneous V Problem" is important to understand in physics because it helps us better understand and predict the motion of objects. By understanding the causes and effects of this problem, we can accurately analyze and describe the motion of objects in the real world.