1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous velocity animation

1. Sep 2, 2004 #1
    A web page designer creates an animation in which a dot on a computer screen has a position of [tex]r^\rightarrow [4.40cm + (2.20cm/s^2)t^2]\underlinei + (5.00 cm/s)t\underlinej[/tex]

okay i already have the correct answer, but i would like to know how the author got it. i came close to getting the correct answer.

Question.) Find the instantaneous velocity at t=1.0. Give your answer as a pair of components separated by a comma(x,y).

ok to find the instantaneous velocity, i need to find the derivative of the function...

d/dt r = 2(2.20cm/s)*2(t)i + (5.00cm/s)
    plug in 1.0 for t and got....

(8.8cm/s,5.00cm/s) <--- my answer

(4.40cm/s, 5.00 cm/s) <--- correct answer

it looks like the correct answer divided my x-component by 2, but why? can someone explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]
    \vec{r} = [4.40cm + (2.20 cm/s^2)t^2] \hat{i} + (5.00 cm/s)t \hat{j}
    [/tex]

That what you were trying to write?

Anyways, you've identified that your answer is twice the alledgedly correct answer. I notice that your answer has several factors of two in it, so the first thought that springs to my mind is: "Can I find a reason why one of those 2's shouldn't be there?"

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3
    I think...

I think you are working the problem wrong. Take the derivative of the acceleration ONLY, we do not care about the initial position, we only want the derivative of a.

[tex] \dfrac{d}{dt} 2.20t^2 [/tex]

You do the math.

Hope this helps.

5. Sep 2, 2004 #4
    "2(2.20cm/s)*2(t)i"
    too many twos

6. Sep 2, 2004 #5
    so...[tex](2.20cm/s^2)t^2[/tex] is the acceleration of i?

wait...

i got two 2's because you see 2.20cm/s^2? the derivative of that is 2(2.20cm/s) right? and the derivative of t^2 is equal to 2t. so...
    2(2.20cm/s) * 2t

am i not suppose to care about the square root on cm/s?

7. Sep 3, 2004 #6
    No...s^2 is simply a unit. It is NOT a variable. You are taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable t, so try to envision that particular term as 2.20t^2...and the derivative of that would be 4.40t.

8. Sep 3, 2004 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't matter if s is a unit or a varaible: it's a constant with respect to t, so its derivative (WRT t) is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?