Instantaneous velocity from avg velocity with constant accelartion

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the average velocity from t1 to t2 is equal to the instantaneous velocity in the middle of the time interval between t1 and t2, using constant acceleration. The individual has attempted various substitutions and equations, but is struggling to find a solution. They are seeking a general equation that does not involve acceleration, as they only have position data and this is a 1-D kinematics problem.
KeilB

Homework Statement

With constant acceleration prove that the average velocity from t1 to t2 =t1 + Δt is equal to the instanous velocity in the middle of the time interval between t1 and t2.

Homework Equations

What I am looking for is a general equation that does not involve accelaration. All I have is position. By the way this is 1-D kinematics so no need for vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried all sorts of subs with Vavg= (Vi + Vf)/2 and Vavg= Δx/Δt I tried subbing these into many of the other equations such as Vf=Vi+at. I imagine there is some sort of trick to it. This thing is driving me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

KeilB said:
Vavg= (Vi + Vf)/2
Vf=Vi+at
It can be shown this way I believe. Here's a hint:
Vavg= (Vi + Vf)/2
Vavg= (Vi + Vf)/2 - Vi +Vi
Vavg= (Vf - Vi)/2 +Vi

Alright still having a hard time. I got it into that form that you mentioned and was able to get Vavg=2Vf-(3at)/2 which there is a t/2 in there. Good sign I suppose but it just doesn't seem right since I am going to have to use a distance traveled to find it. I will play around with it some more but feel I'm coming to dead ends.

Can you express in math what it is exactly that you're trying to show? In other word, what equation says "the average velocity from t1 to t2 is equal to the instantaneous velocity in the middle of the time interval between t1 and t2"?

I can provide a response to this content.

First, let's define some variables:
- t1 = initial time
- t2 = final time
- Δt = change in time (t2-t1)
- Vavg = average velocity from t1 to t2
- Vi = initial velocity
- Vf = final velocity

We know that average velocity is calculated by taking the total displacement (Δx) divided by the total time (Δt):
Vavg = Δx/Δt

We also know that average velocity is equal to the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint of the time interval:
Vavg = (Vi + Vf)/2 = Vmid

Now, let's use the equation for displacement with constant acceleration:
Δx = Vit + 1/2at^2

We can substitute this into the equation for average velocity:
Vavg = (Δx)/Δt = (Vit + 1/2at^2)/Δt

Since we are looking for the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint, we can set t = (t1 + t2)/2:
Vmid = Vit + 1/2a((t1 + t2)/2)^2/Δt

Now, let's simplify this equation:
Vmid = Vi + 1/2a(t1^2 + 2t1t2 + t2^2)/2Δt
Vmid = Vi + 1/2a(t1^2 + t1t2 + t2^2)/Δt
Vmid = Vi + 1/2a(t1 + t2)(t1 + t2)/Δt
Vmid = Vi + 1/2a(t1 + t2)(Δt)
Vmid = Vi + 1/2a(Δt)^2

Now, let's go back to the equation for average velocity and substitute in our new equation for Vmid:
Vavg = (Vit + 1/2a(Δt)^2)/Δt

We can see that this is equal to Vmid, which is the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint of the time interval between t1 and t2. Therefore, we have proven that the average velocity from t1 to t2 is equal to the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint of the time interval.

1. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity from average velocity with constant acceleration?

The formula for calculating instantaneous velocity from average velocity with constant acceleration is v = v0 + at, where v is the instantaneous velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the constant acceleration, and t is the time interval.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall change in velocity over a given time interval. In other words, instantaneous velocity gives the precise speed and direction of an object at a particular instant, while average velocity provides an average measure of the object's velocity over a longer period of time.

3. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. For example, if the initial velocity is positive and the object is slowing down, the instantaneous velocity at any given moment may be negative.

4. How do you calculate instantaneous velocity from a position-time graph with constant acceleration?

To calculate instantaneous velocity from a position-time graph with constant acceleration, you can use the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph. The slope represents the object's velocity at that point in time. Alternatively, you can also use the formula v = ∆x/∆t, where v is the instantaneous velocity, ∆x is the change in position, and ∆t is the change in time.

5. Can instantaneous velocity ever be greater than average velocity?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be greater than average velocity if the object is undergoing a non-uniform acceleration. This means that the object's velocity is changing at a varying rate, and it can momentarily reach higher speeds at certain points in time. However, over a longer time interval, the average velocity will be lower than the instantaneous velocity at a specific moment in time.