• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Instantaneous velocity problem

Homework Statement

find the instantaneous velocity of the particle described in figure 1.1 at the following time a.) t=3.0 s.

Homework Equations

instantaneous velocity equals dx/dt
in the graph, 3 seconds of time is equal to 8 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

so would the answer just be the derivitive of 8/3? i dont get how to use the formula. because then the answer would just be zero, right?

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

find the instantaneous velocity of the particle described in figure 1.1 at the following time a.) t=3.0 s.

Homework Equations

instantaneous velocity equals dx/dt
in the graph, 3 seconds of time is equal to 8 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

so would the answer just be the derivitive of 8/3? i dont get how to use the formula. because then the answer would just be zero, right?
dx/dt gives you the slope of the tangent drawn to point at which you need the instantaneous speed. I presume that you have a displacement versus time graph. Draw a tangent to the point at t=3 and fine the slope of the tangent.
Otherwise more accurately, if you could express displacement as a function of time from the structure of the graph an then differentiate it, it would be better.
regards,
Ritwik

if the acceleration is zero (a=0) then x=v*t+x0 so the answer is 8=v*3+x0 and if x0=0 then the answer is v=8/3
and also v=dx/dt then dx=v*dt and if you integrate this equation you will get x-x0=v*t