1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Instantaneous Velocity

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    Question: A web page designer creates an animation in which a dot on a computer screen has a position of r=[4.0 cm + (2.5 cm/s2)t2)i + [(5.0 cm/s)t]j.

a. Find the magnitude and direction of the dot's average velocity between t=0 and t=2.0s.
    b. Find the magnitude and direction of the instantaneous velocity at t=0, t=1.0s, and t=2.0s.

2. Relevant equations
    r=[4.0 cm + (2.5 cm/s2)t2)i + [(5.0 cm/s)t]j.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part A, I had no problem. I found the position at t=0 and t=2 and used the distance formula to find the resultant. I divided that by the time interval, 2 seconds, and got an average velocity of 7.07 m/s at a 45 degree angle. When I checked this with the back of my book, my answer was correct.

For part B, I figured that I would take the derivative of the given equation, which is what I did.

r=(4.0 + 2.5t2)+5t
    r'=5t + 5

I'm already unsure about this step; I'm not quite sure what the I and J indicate in the original equation. I thought they meant X and Y, so I also tried splitting up the formula into an x-component and a y-component, but I still did not get the right answer.
    For t=0, the answer was 5.0 cm/s, which I think I got just by sheer luck and coincidence. So really, I don't even know how to approach part B of this problem...the answer for t=1.0s is supposed to be 7.1 cm/s...help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget your unit vectors! :smile:

[tex] r = \left(4.0 + (2.5t^2) \right) \hat \imath + (5 t) \hat \jmath [/tex]

[tex] \dot r = \left( 5t \right) \hat \imath + \left( 5 \right) \hat \jmath [/tex]
    Essentially, yes that's right. [itex] \hat \imath [/itex] is the x-component and [itex] \hat \jmath [/itex] is the y-component.
    Did you remember to use the Pythagorean theorem? For a right triangle with sides a and b, with hypotenuse c,
    [tex] c = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} [/tex]

[tex] \tan \theta = \left( \frac{\mathrm{opposite}}{\mathrm{adjacent}} \right) [/tex]

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    Oh! Completely makes sense now...hahaha, I feel stupid! Thank you for your help, you saying that just made it all click!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook