1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous velocity

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering how to solve the instantaneous velocity for this.

I have 3 points which have 5 cm between point 1 and point 2 and 9 cm between point 2 and point 3 (this is easy, i just need to grasp the concept)

The question is "What is the instantaneous velocity for point 2?

How would I figure this out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2
    Do you have any times?

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    oh, yes, sorry,

the time intervals between the points are 1/40th of a second (lets say)

(sorry, I forgot to post them... I kinda forgot!)

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4
    Can you give a little background? What kind of motion is going on here, constant acceleration?

6. Apr 12, 2005 #5
    it would be variable acceleration, because the consecutive distance between 1&2 is 5 and 2&3 9... so lets say that each time, the velocity increases by one.

Would I just take the velocity of 1-2 (5cm per 1/40th of a second) and 2-3 (9cm per 1/40th of a second) and find the average of them to get the instantaneous?

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6
    Define acceleration in terms of velocity. Does acceleration have to change for velocity to change?

I don't know how accurate you need to be, but what I would do is try to figure out the average acceleration. The object is speeding up, so its position function is:

[tex] x(t) = x_0 + v_0t + 1/2 * at^2 [/tex]

We travelled x(t) = 14cm in t=0.05sec. Can you find the acceleration? Can you find the velocity at t=0.025 with this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?