1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instilling interst

1. Aug 28, 2003 #1
    I am wondering how I can get my 7 year old son interested in science. He is a very bright boy and I want to steer in to science if I can. He loves the planets and stuff but I am not that knowledgable about science stuff unless it is computer related :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take up model rocketry. That's what got me into it as a young tyke.

It starts off innocent. Big noise, big whoosh, cool stuff. And then the inevitable question... HOW HIGH DID IT GO DADDY?

For the planets, you can get a telescope and a beginning astronomy book (assuming you've got decent sky where you live).

Chemistry sets are good.

Electricity sets are also cool. It's amazing how a couple wires and some gizmos turn themselves into radios, alarms, etc.

I also used to love taking things apart. Hit a flea market and buy old appliances (don't do it with TVs... the capacitors can hold huge charge) and take them apart together just to see what's inside.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?