What are the top DIY optics projects in the Instructables Optics Contest?

In summary, the Instructables website is currently hosting an Optics Contest for 43 days. Participants have the chance to win an iPhone X by submitting their DIY projects with step-by-step instructions and pictures for others to replicate. Several entries have already been submitted, including guides on making a laser cnc machine, measuring the wavelength of laser light, and recollimating binoculars. The winners and finalists can be viewed on the website, and anyone interested in participating is encouraged to share their entries there as well.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Instructables website is having an Optics Contest (going for 43 days from now).
You could win an iPhone X!

These are DIY projects that you write up with pictures so that other people can replicate them.
Instructions --> Instructables.

There are already several entries you can view there including:
  • making a laser cnc machine
  • how to measure the wavelength of laser light (from laser pointers)
  • how to recollimate binoculars
The last one I had an interesting method, but it was too late for my purposes (my wife just got some decent binoculars which I noticed were out of alignment, so she then threw them out).

If anyone makes any entries, it would be interesting to see a link to them here.

Likes davenn and DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
The winners are at this link.
You can also get to the finalists and all the entries from there.
Some are pretty cool.

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the "Instructables Optics Contest"?

The "Instructables Optics Contest" is a contest hosted by the website Instructables, where participants can submit projects related to optics, including but not limited to: telescope-making, laser cutting, lens-making, and more.

2. Who can participate in the "Instructables Optics Contest"?

Anyone over the age of 13 with a valid Instructables account can participate in the "Instructables Optics Contest". All skill levels are welcome to enter.

3. How do I enter the "Instructables Optics Contest"?

To enter the contest, you must first create a step-by-step Instructable that showcases your project related to optics. Make sure to include clear and detailed instructions, as well as photos or videos to support your project. Then, publish your Instructable and select the option to enter it into the "Instructables Optics Contest".

4. What are the deadlines for the "Instructables Optics Contest"?

The "Instructables Optics Contest" typically runs for a specific period of time, which is stated in the contest rules. All entries must be submitted before the deadline in order to be considered. It is important to check the official contest page for any updates or changes to the deadline.

5. What are the criteria for judging in the "Instructables Optics Contest"?

The entries will be judged based on clarity and quality of instructions, creativity and originality, and presentation. The judges will also take into account the use of optics in the project and how well it is utilized. Make sure to read the official contest rules for more details on the judging criteria.