Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instructive Real Analysis

1. Sep 28, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone ever seen this? It's an interactive online textbook in analysis in a single real variable. As an undergrad, I wussed out and took Advanced Calculus instead of Analysis, and this is a subject I've been meaning to learn. Is anyone interested in going through this?

http://www.shu.edu/projects/reals

It looks like it could serve as a springboard to get into more advanced books that I've found online.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This will seem like a really silly question but...

As long as we're sticking to real functions of a single variable (and not delving into abstract spaces and measures), what's the difference? (I'm beginning to suspect that my teacher taught us both in my advanced calc courses)

4. Oct 2, 2003 #3
    i think "analysis" has to have the word "real" in front to be compared to advanced calculus.

otherwise, things like metric spaces are included in the subject.

5. Oct 2, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To a mathematician, the word analysis by itself means functions of a complex variable. Other discplines mean other things by it. The Freudians...

6. Oct 2, 2003 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I talked with a coworker, and he confirmed my suspicions; my advanced calc class did indeed delve a decent bit into real analysis, which is the source of my confusion!

7. Oct 2, 2003 #6

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An (almost) pure PF Mentor page!

8. Oct 3, 2003 #7
    i think the term "function theory" is what is used for complex analysis.

not all mathematicians have the same definition of "analysis."

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Analysis.html

9. Oct 7, 2003 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, sorry I took so long to get back to you. As far as I know, the thing that differentiates Advanced Calculus from Real Analysis is theorem proving. In my Adv Calc class, we covered multivariable calculus (differential and integral), vector calculus, calculus of variations, and a very little bit of PDEs. We learned nothing of spaces, measures, Lebesgue integration, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?