Instrument Design to Deliver Energy to 50mm Circle

In summary, the person is trying to come up with an instrument design that will expose a sample to light in a specific way. They are looking for a shutter that will open for a specific amount of time and they are also looking for a way to reduce the amount of light hitting the sample.
Kinase
I didn't know where to put this, I figured I'd start here since this area sees traffic that other areas might not see. Someone can move it if there's a better section for it.

I'm thinking of an instrument design that has a light path as follows: UV-Vis light source, monochromator or filter that allows only a particular wavelength through, some tubes or whatever, and then the system needs to apply the light to at most the area of a 50mm circle. And, I need a shutter somewhere in that light path, but not an open/closed one. I need one like a camera shutter where I can use a computer or something to tell it to be opened for a specific amount of time so that if I know the output of the lamp in W/m2 I can apply a particular amount of energy per square meter depending on how long the shutter is open. The time it's opened will depend on the source but I'm looking to expose the sample to usually around 0-10J/m2 and possibly more but that's easy, it just stays open longer and usually faster shutter speeds are harder to achieve. I'm having trouble finding such a part, does anyone know of one? This isn't for a spectroscopy application.

So basically I need a machine that can precisely and accurately deliver specific amounts of energy to a 50mm diameter circle. I've been using a DNA crosslinker but the lamp stability is dicey if the time the lamps are on is shorter than 30sec, which is pretty much all my exposures.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds sort of like how any typical, modern camera works (any camera with automatic exposure capabilities, which is pretty much most of them since the last half century).

Have you considered getting a medium format film SLR camera (6x6 cm format should work nicely) -- one with interchangeable lenses so that you can simply detach the lens (sounds like you don't need a lens) -- and placing your 50 mm circle where the film plane would normally reside? The light meter and shutter control should still work in this setup.

I actually used to shoot with a bronica but I don't have it anymore. That's certainly an interesting idea and I bet it would work, the poor camera would be getting hit with 255nm light a lot though. Those shutter parts are nice as well. It's nice to know my options, but I'm beginning to think they're moot points because I don't think the PI is going to approve of this build since I don't actually have any parts yet and it will cost a fair amount of money.

I think I'm going to try just 3D printing a cylinder that hold the dish on the inside and then a neutral density filter on top and placing that in the crosslinker so that it reduces the amount of light hitting the dish. Since I have a lightmeter I can put the filter over the meter and measure the new irradiance when the lamp is stable and then calculate the time I need to enter into the machine to make it deliver a particular amount of energy. Plus I know the transmission of the filter so I can see how much light should theoretically reach sample.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated!

1. What is the purpose of designing an instrument to deliver energy to a 50mm circle?

The purpose of designing such an instrument is to provide a focused and precise delivery of energy to a specific area, which can be useful in various scientific and medical applications such as targeted therapy or sample analysis.

2. What types of energy can be delivered using this instrument?

This instrument can be designed to deliver various types of energy, including light, heat, electricity, and radiation. The specific type of energy delivered will depend on the purpose and design of the instrument.

3. How is the 50mm circle determined as the target area for energy delivery?

The 50mm circle is typically determined based on the specific application and desired outcome. It may be chosen to target a specific organ or tissue in the body, or to focus on a specific sample for analysis.

4. What factors are considered in the design of this instrument?

The design of this instrument takes into account various factors, such as the type and amount of energy to be delivered, the target area and its size, the desired precision and accuracy, and any safety considerations. Other factors may also be considered depending on the specific application.

5. Can this instrument be used in different environments or settings?

Yes, the design of this instrument can be adapted to different environments or settings depending on the specific application. It can be used in laboratory or clinical settings, as well as in industrial or research settings.