Electric Field of an Insulating Cylindrical Shell

In summary: Thanks guys, you helped me through it! In summary, we discussed a long cylindrical insulating shell with an inner radius of 1.38 m and an outer radius of 1.61 m, having a constant charge density of 4.80 C/m3. We used Gauss' law to find the electric field at a distance of 1.87 m from the axis, and then solved for the electric potential at the outer radius of the shell, taking into account the changing charge enclosed with increasing radius.
Winzer

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical insulating shell has an inner radius of a = 1.38 m and an outer radius of b = 1.61 m. The shell has a constant charge density of 4.80 C/m3.
1. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.87 m from the axis?
2. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.51 m from the axis?
3. If we take the potential at the axis to be zero, what is the electric potential at the outer radius of the shell?

Homework Equations

[tex] E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex] \oint \vec{E}\vec{dr}= \frac{Q_{Enclosed}}{\epsilon_{o}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1 i use [tex] E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex] but i am confused on finding q because i am given density of c/m^3. I am assuming an infinity long cyclinder?[tex]\vec{}[/tex]

Attachments

• InsulatingCylindricalShell.gif
    InsulatingCylindricalShell.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,067
Physics news on Phys.org
Winzer said:

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical insulating shell has an inner radius of a = 1.38 m and an outer radius of b = 1.61 m. The shell has a constant charge density of 4.80 C/m3.
1. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.87 m from the axis?
2. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.51 m from the axis?
3. If we take the potential at the axis to be zero, what is the electric potential at the outer radius of the shell?

Homework Equations

[tex] E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex] \oint \vec{E}\vec{dr}= \frac{Q_{Enclosed}}{\epsilon_{o}}[/tex]
careful.. the integral should be E.da, not E.dr

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1 i use [tex] E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex] but i am confused on finding q because i am given density of c/m^3. I am assuming an infinity long cyclinder?[tex]\vec{}[/tex]

Take a cylindrical section of arbitrary length L...

learningphysics said:
careful.. the integral should be E.da, not E.dr

Take a cylindrical section of arbitrary length L...

You are correct dA.
So:
[tex] dE= \frac{kdQ}{r^2}, dQ=pdV \longrightarrow dQ= 4.80 C/m^3 * 2\pi r l dr[/tex]

Then:
[tex] E= \int \frac{k 4.80* 2 \pi r l}{r^2}dr[/tex]
With he boundries a=a b=b

Winzer said:
Then:
[tex] E= \int \frac{k 4.80* 2 \pi r l}{r^2}dr[/tex]
With he boundries a=a b=b

No... use gauss' law... what is your gaussian shell... what is the charge enclosed...

Oh of course..I would pick a cyclinder as my G surface.

Winzer said:
Oh of course..I would pick a cyclinder as my G surface.

exactly. can you write out the integral using gauss law for the first part? we need the field 1.87 m away.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. i got 1 & 2.

how about 3?
I know [tex] V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]

Winzer said:
how about 3?
I know [tex] V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]

Nah... I don't think that'll work...

The voltage at r minus the voltage at 0 is:

[tex]-\int_0^r{\vec{E}\cdot\vec{dr}[/tex]

You need to integrate this from 0 to b=1.61...

But then i get a ln(r/0), with other stuff infront. ln is -inf?

Winzer said:
But then i get a ln(r/0), with other stuff infront. ln is -inf?

That doesn't look right... the integral from 0 to 1.38m is 0... because the field is 0 for this part... so you just need the integral from 1.38 to 1.61.

so does:
[tex] V=\frac{-p (b^2-a^2)}{2 \epsilon_{o}}ln(\frac{b}{a})[/tex]
sound on the right track?

Winzer said:
so does:
[tex] V=\frac{-p (b^2-a^2)}{2 \epsilon_{o}}ln(\frac{b}{a})[/tex]
sound on the right track?

Hmm... I'm getting something different. Can you show how you got that integral?

Well how should I do it?

Winzer said:
Well how should I do it?

Get the field inside the insulator. Then do [tex]-\int_{1.38}^{1.61}\vec{E}\cdot\vec{dr}[/tex]

What do you get for the field in terms of r?

Use gauss' law. [tex]4.80*{\pi}r^2h = 2{\pi}rh*E[/tex]

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Get the field inside the insulator. Then do [tex]-\int_{1.38}^{1.61}\vec{E}\cdot\vec{dr}[/tex]

What do you get for the field in terms of r?

Use gauss' law. [tex]4.80*{\pi}r^2h = 2{\pi}rh*E[/tex]

mmm.. i Think it should be [tex]E= \frac{-p(b^2-a^2)}{2r \epsilon_{o}}[/tex]
I choose [tex] -p(b^2-a^2)=Q_{enclosed}[/tex] because i had to integrate to find the charge enclosed.

Winzer said:
mmm.. i Think it should be [tex]E= \frac{-p(b^2-a^2)}{2r \epsilon_{o}}[/tex]
I choose [tex] -p(b^2-a^2)=Q_{enclosed}[/tex] because i had to integrate to find the charge enclosed.

But the charge enclosed changes with r. You're integrating from r = 1.38 to 1.61... as you increase r, the charge enclosed becomes bigger.

so b is replaced with r

Winzer said:
so b is replaced with r

Ah... yes, you're right... I made a mistake in my post. I should have written:

[tex]4.80*{\pi}(r^2 - a^2)h = 2{\pi}rh*E[/tex]

So that gives what you have by replacing b with r.

ok, cool I got it. I just made the mistake of not letting charge vary with r.

1. What is an insulating cylindrical shell?

An insulating cylindrical shell is a type of insulation material that is used to cover the surface of a cylindrical object, such as a pipe or tank, in order to prevent heat transfer to or from the object. It is typically made from materials such as foam, fiberglass, or mineral wool.

2. How does an insulating cylindrical shell work?

The insulating cylindrical shell works by creating a barrier between the object and its surroundings. The material used in the shell has a low thermal conductivity, meaning it does not allow heat to easily pass through it. This prevents heat from escaping or entering the object, keeping it at a constant temperature.

3. What are the benefits of using an insulating cylindrical shell?

There are several benefits of using an insulating cylindrical shell, including energy savings, increased efficiency, and protection against temperature fluctuations. By reducing heat transfer, the shell can help lower energy costs and reduce the environmental impact of heating or cooling systems. It can also help maintain a consistent temperature for sensitive materials or processes.

4. How do I choose the right insulating cylindrical shell for my application?

The right insulating cylindrical shell will depend on factors such as the temperature, size, and location of the object being insulated. It is important to consider the material's thermal conductivity, thickness, and durability when choosing the appropriate shell for your specific needs. It is also recommended to consult with a professional to ensure the best selection for your application.

5. How do I install an insulating cylindrical shell?

The installation process for an insulating cylindrical shell will vary depending on the material used and the object being insulated. In general, the shell should be carefully wrapped around the object, with any seams or gaps sealed to prevent heat transfer. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use proper safety precautions when installing the shell.