Find Electric Field of 0.965nC Insulating Sphere Above -7.90 nC Sheet

• Thread starter stylez03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance from the center of an insulating sphere with a charge of 0.965 nC to the point inside where the electric field is zero. The equation for the electric field is given and the conversation discusses the importance of including the field from both the sphere and a large sheet with a charge density of -7.90 nC. The conversation also mentions using Gauss's law to simplify the equation and gives the final simplified equation for finding the distance.
stylez03

Homework Statement

An insulating sphere with a radius of 0.100 m has a charge of 0.965 nC uniformly distributed throughout its volume. The center of the sphere is a distance 0.295 m above a large uniform sheet that has a charge density of -7.90 nC.

Find the distance from the center of the sphere to the point inside the sphere at which the electric field is zero.

Homework Equations

r < R

E = 1/4pi*E_o * Qr/R^3

Is there only 1 sphere that is directly above the sheet that is 0.295m ? I'm not exactly sure how the picture looks, so I wanted to verify this and then what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
stylez03 said:
Is there only 1 sphere that is directly above the sheet that is 0.295m ?
Yes. Picture the large sheet as being in the x-y plane at z = 0. The sphere of charge can be pictured as being centered at point (0, 0, 0.295).

Okay so having that out of the way we have the following givens:

r = 0.100m
+Q = 0.965 nC
R = 0.295
-Q = -7.90

The field lines out of the sphere is going outward since its a positive charge.

We want to find the distance where the electric field is zero.

How should I start this problem based on a Solid insulating sphere with radius R and charge Q distributed uniformly throughout the volume?

Since the question asks inside the sphere it should be the case that:

r < R

E = 1/4pi*E_o * Qr/R^3

We want E = 0 ?

1/4*pi*E_o * Qr/R^3 = 0 ?

stylez03 said:
Since the question asks inside the sphere it should be the case that:

r < R

E = 1/4pi*E_o * Qr/R^3
Good. That's the field from the uniform sphere of charge.

We want E = 0 ?

1/4*pi*E_o * Qr/R^3 = 0 ?
No. You want the point where the total electric field due to all the charge is zero, not just the field from the sphere of charge.

The field at any point is the sum of the field from the plane plus the field from the sphere.

Doc Al said:
Good. That's the field from the uniform sphere of charge.No. You want the point where the total electric field due to all the charge is zero, not just the field from the sphere of charge.

The field at any point is the sum of the field from the plane plus the field from the sphere.

I currently have the following equation:

(-7.90 / 2*E_0) + (1/4*pi*E_0) = .965/r^2

I sum up the charge of the sheet with the sphere and solve for r I get r = 0.45 but that's incorrect and I was wondering if I was attempting this correctly?

stylez03 said:
I currently have the following equation:

(-7.90 / 2*E_0) + (1/4*pi*E_0) = .965/r^2
I don't understand this equation. You should have something that looks like: Field from sheet + Field from sphere = 0.

Also, you should be able to point to the spot on your diagram (assuming you've made one) where this condition would be met. That will help you visualize what's going on.

Doc Al said:
I don't understand this equation. You should have something that looks like: Field from sheet + Field from sphere = 0.

Also, you should be able to point to the spot on your diagram (assuming you've made one) where this condition would be met. That will help you visualize what's going on.

Yes that is what that equation represents field from sheet + field from sphere = 0. I know the distance should be above the center point of the sphere.

stylez03 said:
Yes that is what that equation represents field from sheet + field from sphere = 0.
I'm not seeing it. Your first term looks like the field from the sheet. But what's the second and third terms? And why isn't the sum set equal to zero?

I know the distance should be above the center point of the sphere.
Right. (Just checking.)

Is this the electric field for a sphere = 1/4pi*E_o * Qr/R^3

stylez03 said:
Is this the electric field for a sphere = 1/4pi*E_o * Qr/R^3
Yes, as I thought you had stated several posts ago.

okay I'm a little confused on which "r" we're looking for, here's my math so far:

[tex] \frac {\sigma} {2*e_o} = \frac {1} {4*pi*e_o} * \frac {Qr} {R^{3}} [/tex]

= [tex] \frac {-7.9} {2*(8.85*10^{-12})} = \frac {1} {4*pi*(8.85*10^{-12})} * \frac {.965*r} {.295^{3}} [/tex]

Is big R = 0.295 the distance from center of sphere to the sheet ?

= [tex] 3.49*10^{-11} = \frac {6.70*10^{-12}*r} {.025672} [/tex]

= [tex] \frac {3.49*10^{-11}} {6.70*10^{-12}} * (.025672) = r => 1.3*10^{-25} [/tex]

and I don't think that is correct =/

Last edited:
stylez03 said:
okay I'm a little confused on which "r" we're looking for, here's my math so far:

= [tex] \frac {-7.9} {2*(8.85*10^{-12})} = \frac {1} {4*pi*(8.85*10^{-12})} * \frac {.965*r} {.295^{3}} [/tex]

Is big R = 0.295 the distance from center of sphere to the sheet ?
No, big R is the radius of the sphere. (The formula for the field within the uniform sphere of charge has nothing to do with the distance to the sheet.)

Also: Careful with your arithmetic. Simplify as much as possible before plugging in numbers. (For example, the [tex]\epsilon_0[/tex] cancels from both sides.)

I think it's easier to do this problem using Gauss's law to simplify spherical E in terms of charge density. Then set that equal to Eplate and after some simple algebra you have your answer.

americanforest said:
I think it's easier to do this problem using Gauss's law to simplify spherical E in terms of charge density.
That part's already solved. :wink:
Then set that equal to Eplate and after some simple algebra you have your answer.
That's exactly what he's doing.

Doc Al said:
That part's already solved. :wink:

That's exactly what he's doing.

Okay let's try again from the start:

= [tex] R^3*\frac {\frac {\sigma} {2*e_o}} {\frac {1} {4*pi*e_o}} [/tex]

= [tex] R^3*\frac {\frac {\sigma} {\frac {1} {2*pi}}} {Q} [/tex]

Is this correct, I think I might have done something wrong, but it's pretty late. Thank you

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. Rewrite it more simply as:
[tex]r = \frac{2 \pi \sigma R^3}{Q}[/tex]

thank you.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the electric field of a insulating sphere?

The electric field of an insulating sphere can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere. This equation is valid for points outside the sphere.

3. What is the charge of the insulating sphere and sheet in this problem?

The charge of the insulating sphere is 0.965nC (nanocoulombs) and the charge of the sheet is -7.90nC (nanocoulombs). The negative sign indicates that the sheet has a negative charge.

4. How do you determine the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that would be experienced by a positive test charge placed at a given point. The direction of the electric field is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. What is the relationship between the distance from the sheet and the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the sheet. This means that as the distance from the sheet increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by the equation E = kQ/r^2.