How Can I Best Insulate a Safe to Protect Heat-Sensitive Materials?

In summary, the conversation is discussing ways to prevent temperature equalization for a material that is susceptible to heat and moisture. The material will be stored in a safe, which will be placed in a room with a temperature range of 86-96.2 F. The person is considering using a breathable microfiber bag and a cooler bag to keep the temperature lower, but is concerned about temperature equalization. They also mention using a mini desiccant or silica gel packs to control humidity. They ask for recommendations on insulation and clarification on whether they are trying to keep cold objects cool or the inside temperature permanently lower.
StatsT
Hello, I would like to ask you something about prevention from temperature equalization.
I would really appreciate it if you can answer.

To begin with, I want to store specific material into a breathable microfiber bag and place it inside a safe.
This material is susceptible to heat and moisture.

The safe is made of pry-resistant steel and has the following dimensions:
1.2 cubic feet,interior space measures 16.81 x 12.15 x 10.51 inches L x W x H.
There are pre-drilled holes for bolting which I'm going to cover in order to ''make'' the container airtight.

My safe is stored in a house room (under a bed), where temperature does not exceed 86-96.2 F now in the summer.

Given material's susceptibility my intention is:
a)to keep lower temperature inside the bag than the rest of the room.
b)to decrease humidity inside the safeFor a)

At first I thought of putting the microfiber bag inside a cooler bag that is insulated, in order to achieve lower temperature.However, I know that due to temperature equalization sooner or later temp it's going to be increased eventually.

I don't want to cool or freeze the material, just to protect it as much as possible from reaching room temperature.Ice packs or freeze boards might create moisture inside the cooler bag so I doubt that's an option.Hence, cooler bag usage is not useful.

For b)
I thought of adding a certain mini defumidifier that works as a desiccant(the one I own works best in an airtight container,that's why I previously mentioned about covering safe's pre-drilled holes) to ensure that moisture is controlled. Silica gel packs are also a possible option,putting directly inside the microfiber bag.

I need to mention that I do have a hygrometer/thermometer for measuring RH and temperature.Therefore my questions are:

1)If I put the material inside a common ziplock bag with silica packs inside, next to freeze boards that according to reviews sweat just a little bit, all inside the safe, would I manage to achive lower than room's temperature while humidity is controlled(inside the bag at least) ?2)If I cover the safe with insulation,would that protect it from room temperature?
If so, which of the following is the best to use:

a)common aluminum foil,

b) a heat reflective reflector bubble silver foil like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUDVUXW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

c)*car windscreen sunshades made specifically for heat protection/temperature reduction such as the following:
*FREESOO Car Windscreen Sun Shade UV Cover Protector
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015IHSWUY/?tag=pfamazon01-20
*EcoNour Car Windshield Sun Shade - Blocks UV Rays Sun Visor Protector
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I90VP0G/?tag=pfamazon01-20
*Car Windscreen Sunshades, URMI Magnetic Sun Shade Cover Windshield
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GYW9TKC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

*If amazon links are not allowed I can delete them.
3)Do you have any other recommendation for insulation(e.g. wool,fiberglass) or generally for my issue?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
StatsT said:
*If amazon links are not allowed I can delete them.
It is not that they are amazon links, it is just a bit too much advertisement.

Let's get something straight. Heat flows from warmer to cooler places. Insulation slows that down, but it can not stop the heat flow.

Humidity within the box, as long as it is constant, does not absorb or emit heat, nor does it effect the heat flowing through the walls of the box.

So if you leave the box in the room long enough, the inside and outside temperatures will equalize. Or at least the average will equalize if room temperature changes.

So please clarify. Are you putting cold objects in the box and hoping to keep them cool as long as possible? Or do you want to keep the inside permanently at a lower temperature?

fresh_42 said:
It is not that they are amazon links, it is just a bit too much advertisement.
I understand.I just wanted to be as much specific as I can be.Can you delete them and just let ''car windsceen sunshade''? because I can't see the edit button.

anorlunda said:
Let's get something straight. Heat flows from warmer to cooler places. Insulation slows that down, but it can not stop the heat flow.

Humidity within the box, as long as it is constant, does not absorb or emit heat, nor does it effect the heat flowing through the walls of the box.

So if you leave the box in the room long enough, the inside and outside temperatures will equalize. Or at least the average will equalize if room temperature changes.

So please clarify. Are you putting cold objects in the box and hoping to keep them cool as long as possible? Or do you want to keep the inside permanently at a lower temperature?

Thank you for your reply.Well, I want to keep the inside at a lower temperature, but not permantly just for the summer.

StatsT said:
Well, I want to keep the inside at a lower temperature, but not permantly just for the summer.
With just insulation (and maybe with some additional heat-storage material) the very best you can achieve is the daily average temperature (give or take a few degrees).

If you want anything below that then you need cooling.

There is also the old fashioned root cellar. Dug into the ground where our is naturally cooler in summer.

Likes Rive
@Rive what insulation material would work best?or there is no dfference
by daily average temperature you mean on the summer?

@anorluda I live in an apatment so that't not feasible.

StatsT said:
by daily average temperature you mean on the summer?
Just daily, around your safe (since you will get different average for a cellar and for an attic): if it is summer then summer: if it is winter, then winter.

As for materials: what I would do is to insulate the whole safe: that would provide enough material inside for averaging, and you are more free with thickness. Try picking something from here, based on local availability/performance/price.

1. How does insulation affect temperature?

Insulation helps to regulate temperature by preventing heat transfer between two objects. It acts as a barrier to slow down the movement of heat, keeping warm air inside and cold air outside. This can help maintain a consistent temperature in a space, reducing the need for heating or cooling.

2. What types of materials are commonly used for insulation?

The most common types of insulation materials include fiberglass, cellulose, foam, and mineral wool. Each material has its own unique properties and benefits, and the best choice will depend on factors such as cost, effectiveness, and environmental impact.

3. How does the thickness of insulation impact its effectiveness?

The thickness of insulation plays a crucial role in its effectiveness. The thicker the insulation, the more resistance it has to heat flow. This means that thicker insulation will provide better insulation and help maintain a more stable temperature in a space.

4. Can insulation help save energy and reduce utility bills?

Yes, insulation can help save energy and reduce utility bills by reducing the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a space. By keeping warm air inside during cold weather and cool air inside during hot weather, insulation can help reduce the workload on heating and cooling systems, resulting in lower energy consumption and cost savings.

5. How do I know if my home or building needs more insulation?

There are a few signs that may indicate that your home or building needs more insulation. These include high energy bills, uneven temperatures throughout the space, drafts, and visible gaps or cracks in walls, floors, or ceilings. It is best to consult a professional to assess the insulation needs of your specific space.