Insulator and electron problem

In summary, the correct answer for the first question is c. 10^11 electrons, as determined by dividing the given negative charge by the charge of an electron. For the second question, the answer depends on the specific setup and cannot be determined without further information.
Kathi201
1. If an object is determined to have a negative charge of 160 NC, you can conclude that the object has an excess of
a. 10^ 9 electrons
b. 10^10 electrons
c. 10^11 electrons
d. 10^12 electrons
e. 10^13 electrons

I came up with c. 10^11 electrons by taking 160E-9C/1.6E-19C = 10^11. I just used numbers that I found so I'm not sure if this is right and if it is I don't understand the reasoning as to why it is correct. Any help would be appreciated

I also have one more question.

If you bring a negatively charged insulator near two uncharged matallic spheres that are in contact and then separate the spheres, the sphere on the right will have
a. no net charge
b. a positive charge
c. a negative charge
d. either a positive or negative charge
e. none of the above

Physics news on Phys.org

Kathi201 said:
I came up with c. 10^11 electrons by taking 160E-9C/1.6E-19C = 10^11. I just used numbers that I found so I'm not sure if this is right and if it is I don't understand the reasoning as to why it is correct. Any help would be appreciated
A small careless mistake here. You should have 10x10^11 which is 10^12.

Kathi201 said:
If you bring a negatively charged insulator near two uncharged matallic spheres that are in contact and then separate the spheres, the sphere on the right will have
a. no net charge
b. a positive charge
c. a negative charge
d. either a positive or negative charge
e. none of the above
Is there a picture of this? The question asks for "the sphere on the right", and I'm assuming that the setup isn't symmetrical to begin with.

I would say that the correct answer to the first question is c. 10^11 electrons. This is because electrons are negatively charged particles and a negative charge of 160 NC would indicate an excess of 160 coulombs of electrons. Since each electron has a charge of 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs, dividing 160 by 1.6 x 10^-19 would give you 10^11 electrons.

For the second question, the answer would be d. either a positive or negative charge. This is because when the negatively charged insulator is brought near the two uncharged metal spheres, it will induce a charge on the spheres. This means that one sphere will have an excess of electrons (negative charge) and the other will have a deficiency of electrons (positive charge). When the spheres are separated, the sphere that had an excess of electrons will have a negative charge and the other sphere will have a positive charge. The exact amount of charge on each sphere will depend on the distance between them and the strength of the charge on the insulator. Therefore, the answer is not definite and could be either positive or negative.

1. What is an insulator?

An insulator is a material that does not easily conduct electricity. It has high resistance to the flow of electrons, making it a poor conductor.

2. What is the electron problem in relation to insulators?

The electron problem refers to the challenge of understanding how electrons behave in insulators. Unlike conductors, where electrons move freely, in insulators, electrons are tightly bound to the atoms and do not flow easily.

3. How do insulators prevent the flow of electricity?

Insulators prevent the flow of electricity by having a large band gap - the energy difference between the valence and conduction bands. This band gap requires a significant amount of energy for electrons to jump from the valence band to the conduction band, making it difficult for electricity to pass through.

4. What are some common examples of insulators?

Some common examples of insulators include rubber, glass, plastic, ceramics, and wood. These materials are widely used in electrical and electronic equipment to prevent the flow of electricity.

5. How do insulators play a role in everyday life?

Insulators play a crucial role in everyday life by keeping us safe from electric shocks and preventing electrical fires. They are also essential in electronic devices as they help control the flow of electricity and protect sensitive components from damage.