Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insulting

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

[SOLVED] Insulting

"ANIMAL WROTE IT" ?!

Either the answer is right or wrong and even if you have the right equation it's WRONG.
    High percent error? WRONG as well. :eek:

thank you for your opinions everyone :cool:

I'll just have to work better and write more legibly next time. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2
    Are you mad about the grade or the reference to your hand writing? I would'nt be so upset about the hand writing issue-- I've been told several times that my hand writing looks like I've written it with my feet.

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, what you want is some punk college where the professors don't give a damn and will give you a good grade whether you do good work or not! Criticism in not insulting and your teacher has every right to tell you if you need to improve it- doing a good lab is ruined if you can't write a good, and readable, report.

And you should have realized by now that the answers to school problems are completely irrelevant. A good teacher doesn't care what answer you got- only how you got it. A person uses a good clear, logical approach but,say through some little arithmetic error, gets the wrong answer deserves a higher grade than a person who uses a completely wrong approach but,through luck, gets the right answer. Of course, neither should get full credit.

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4

~christina~

Gold Member

excuse me...PUNK COLLEGE?...I don't think so.

I DO MY WORK. I'm wasn't insulted when I was told that this or that was incorrect but the fact that the teacher said that it was "like an animal wrote it" this would imply that I am an animal. Now that is insulting. My previous reports were fine and not sloppy at all but this one time it is....

actually I feel that's how it should be and it is like this everywhere else.
    You obviously haven't read my post clearly and just read the begining since I SAID that ONLY the answer was incorrect so the WHOLE problem was wrong in their mind and ALL points were taken off and even though the equation used and the method to get the answer was correct but some algebra was not.

like I said above this is what I DID do, and this is why I'm irritated to say the least. I did not get the answer due to arithmathic cancelling errors.

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

~christina~

Gold Member

True, but it was the specific word that got me irritated and also the fact that no partial credit is given even if the method to get answer was right. I've heard that I write sloppily sometimes but I shake it off and just do better next time.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why should you be so soft-skinned and prickly?

I'm sure it was a singularly unaesthetic experience your teacher had with your paper.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7

~christina~

Gold Member

Are you saying I should have the skin of a water buffalo?:biggrin:
    yes, he didn't have any problem with my last 2 papers....so that was probably it.

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    Next time remind your teacher that humans ARE animals.

10. Mar 10, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like an animal? As in chicken scratch? That's a common way to refer to sloppy handwriting. And, if the teacher can't read what you wrote, it's irrelevant if you did it right or not, because they can't tell. It shouldn't be up to them to guess what you were writing, but up to you to take the care to make it easy for them to see what you intended.

"Some algebra" being wrong sounds like a pretty fundamental error, and NOT like you did the problem correctly until the very end at all. Starting with the right equation isn't enough if you don't use it correctly to get to the final solution.

11. Mar 10, 2008 #10

~christina~

Gold Member

:rofl:

12. Mar 10, 2008 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I said something similiar in my lab.

I'm a TA and mark papers. I told my seminar that their homework looks like crap and that I'll give a zero to those who don't improve on the presentation of their work.

13. Mar 10, 2008 #12

~christina~

Gold Member

I knew someone would bring this up. It should be me who goes and and makes it legible..yes I have to say I agree. But seriously "chicken scratch" is commonly used today and not as offensive to me as "writes like an animal". Maybe it will be common but it isn't right now and to be dubbed with this title is for me insulting but I think you know that already from the first post.

Alright, but when you do physics and the problem is long does this apply as well?
    Apparently according to your idea I should get no points for the problem at all If I'm understanding you correctly.

14. Mar 10, 2008 #13
    Boo hoo, hoo- hoo -hoo, hoo hoo, .............hoo. :cry:

I guess next time we will write better, now wont we?

15. Mar 10, 2008 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think its particularly insulting and almost certainly wasn't meant to be. It depends on how it was said and it could have been taken out of context.

16. Mar 10, 2008 #15

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course it does, it doesn't matter how long the question is, even if you started at the right point you shouldn't get any credit if your final answer is way off the radar or illegible. Fair enough if you made a small error and you final answer seem about right, but if you get something like 5 m/s for the speed of light and alarms bells didn't start ringing in you head or you didn't think you'd made an error, then no you don't deserve anywhere near full marks. Equally, you can't get credit because you "may have known what you were doing but I can't tell because I can't read your handwriting". The whole point of an assignment is to demonstrate your ability and knowledge, if you can't do that either because you don't have the ability or your teacher can't read your script, then you shouldn't get credit.

17. Mar 10, 2008 #16
    heh...that reminds me of this time when one of my teachers told my friend his hand writing looked as though he stuck a pen in his *** and wrote with it...funny moment.

18. Mar 10, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Precisely! If the work shown was so illegible or disorganized the instructor couldn't follow it, or it would take extraordinary effort to do so (keep in mind you only have to do your assignment once, the instructor may be grading anywhere from 30 to 300 copies of the same assignment, depending on your class size, aside from all the other work they have to do), then they really can't give partial credit.

The instructor is likely simply trying to get the point across that you need to be more careful/legible/organized in your assignments...and this will help you too...if you are more organized/legible, you'll be less prone to make mistakes or not catch them sooner.

I certainly apply that rule to grading...if I can't read it, it gets no credit.

19. Mar 10, 2008 #18

OmCheeto

Gold Member

People actually write out their answers nowadays?
    I did that back in the 80's and never got an "animal" response from one of my instructors.

They yelled at us for being bored wimps, but never for our handwriting.

I would recommend taking a touch typing class.

20. Mar 10, 2008 #19

~christina~

Gold Member

well if the final answer is [tex]8 \pi[/tex] and I wrote [tex]2(4\pi) [/tex] apparently that is incorrect...well to that person anyhow.

21. Mar 10, 2008 #20

~christina~

Gold Member

I write out my chem labs (not refering to that here) and physics labs.

It seriously wasn't all that bad since I do fine in all my other labs and other lab reports I have given in. Apparently they were acceptable except for this one.

I do type for my other classes anyway and I have typed bio lab report. (a report on the breeding of drosophila melanogaster)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?