1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intake Manifold Design

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    I'm new here saw some information i liked here at one point or another and i decided it would be a nice place to join. I am a hgh school senior and next year i plan to go into mechanical engineering.
    For one of my senior projects im planning on designing and making a custom intake manifold usng ram air theory and maybe some other special things. I have three different designs right now but cant really tell which would be the best design.
    This manifold is being made for a small single cylinder in block valve carberated engine on a go-kart. (I know it doesnt need a special intake but couldn't decde on a better project) My three different designs so far are
    #1 A runner of L length, determined by a formula goes straight out of the rear and the car is attached to the phelum on the engine, intake facing rear of go kart.
    #2 A runner of L length, goes up and to the rear at a 40 degree angle and then the car is attached to a phelum at the end facing the front of the kart.
    #3 A runner of L length, is run to the top of the engine with two turns where the carb is then facing towards the front of the car.
    My concerns are that first, is #1 will be strouded because it faces rearward at higher speeds although it would be a straight shot to the port, is #2 is too much of a transiton for in coming air and create its own restriction and also allow fuel to seperate out, #3 has the most bends but also allows for a better transition with less shrouding.
    If anyone has info they could through out it would be really helpful. I need some good sources showing a little of the information since it is a school project. I would also like to hear any new or different design suggestions if you have any since all these plans came out of my head with the little knowledge i know about fluid dynamics.
    The Engine is fixed and cannot be moved.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?