Counting Integer Solutions to Curves of the Form x^n-c-ky=0

In summary, the conversation discusses an open curve on R^2 with the form x^{n}-c-ky=0, where k, n, and c are integers. The question is whether there are methods to determine if the curve will have integer points (a,b) satisfying the equation a^{n}-c-kb=0. The conversation also mentions reducing modulo k and finding solutions for x^{n}=c mod(y). It is mentioned that if c is an n'th root mod k, there will be infinitely many integer points on the curve, and none if not.
Klaus_Hoffmann
Let be a open curve on R^2 so [tex] x^{n}-c-ky=0 [/tex] where k,n and c are integers, are there any methods to calculate or at least know if the curve above will have integer roots (a,b) so a^{n}-c-kb=0 ?? or perhaps to calculate the number of solutions as a sum (involving floor function) over integers of expressions like

[tex] [(x^{n}-c)k^{-1}] [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Reduce modulo k.

thanks, but however i think that solving [tex] x^{n}=c mod(y) [/tex] is even harder

I suggested you reduce modulo k, rather than modulo y.

Actually, what you wrote is trivially easy to find solutions for, but they won't help you solve the original equation.

Klaus_Hoffmann said:
Let be a open curve on R^2 so [tex] x^{n}-c-ky=0 [/tex] where k,n and c are integers,

This is neither an open set, nor are all curves of this form.

are there any methods to calculate or at least know if the curve above will have integer roots (a,b) so a^{n}-c-kb=0 ??

yes, trivially there will be plenty, i.e. infinitely many of integer point (I don't think you mean root, by the way), on the curveif c is an n'th root mod k, and none if not.

This is the kind of question that eljose would ask.

1. What are integer roots of curves?

Integer roots of curves refer to the points on a curve where the coordinates of the point are both integers. These points can be found by solving the curve's equation for when both x and y are integers.

2. What is the significance of integer roots of curves?

Integer roots of curves have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They help in understanding the behavior of functions and curves, and can also be used to solve problems involving real-world situations.

3. How can I find integer roots of a curve?

To find integer roots of a curve, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, or the rational root theorem. Graphing the curve can also help in visually identifying integer roots.

4. Can a curve have more than one integer root?

Yes, a curve can have multiple integer roots. For example, a quadratic curve can have two integer roots, while a higher degree polynomial curve can have multiple integer roots.

5. Are integer roots of curves only applicable to polynomial curves?

No, integer roots of curves can also be found in other types of curves, such as trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic curves. However, the methods for finding integer roots may differ depending on the type of curve.