1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integerating (1/((sinx)^2))

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

25[tex]\int\frac{1}{sin^{2}x}[/tex]dx

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't sure if I could change [tex]\frac{1}{sin^{2}x}[/tex] to Csc[tex]^{2}[/tex]x but when I did I ended up with -25Cotx which when I checked the integral in my calculator and it was wrong. So now i'm lost...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2
    FYI, the original problem was [tex]\int\frac{1}{x^{2}\sqrt{25-x^{2}}}[/tex]dx I used trigonometric substitution to get to the problem above.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Well in an online integral table I found that [tex]\int \csc^2 ax dx = -\frac{1}{a} \cot ax + C[/tex] so you should probably come up with [tex]-\frac{cot(25x)}{25} + C[/tex].

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4
    -25Cot(x) is the integral of 25/sin^2(x), you can check it by computing the derivative.

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5
    Well did I go wrong before I got to the sin integral? because when I checked it against the original problem it didn't match.

7. Mar 21, 2009 #6
    Oh I did catch that it should be 1/25 not 25. But its still slightly off.

8. Mar 21, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Judging from what you've shown us, you used the substitution x=5*sin(u) to reduce the integral to (1/25) times the integral (1/sIn(u)^2)*du. That's fine. So you've got -cot(u)/25 as the integral. You still have to express that in terms of x.

9. Mar 21, 2009 #8
    I substituted [tex]\frac{\sqrt{25-x^{2}}}{x}[/tex] for cot So what I end up with is -[tex]\frac{\sqrt{25-x^{2}}}{25x}[/tex]+c

10. Mar 22, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks fine to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook