1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrability homework help

1. Sep 1, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Suppose that ##f = 0## at all points of a rectangle ##R## except on a set ##D## of outer content zero, where ##f \geq 0##. If ##f## is bounded, prove that ##f## is integrable on ##R## and ##\int \int f dA = 0##.

2. Now suppose ##f## is an integrable function on a rectangle ##R## and let ##g## be bounded on ##R##. If ##f = g## except for ##(x,y)## in some set of outer content zero where ##f ≤ g##, prove that ##g## is integrable on ##R## and ##\int \int f dA = \int \int g dA##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Suppose ##f ≤ M## on ##R##. For all ##\epsilon > 0##, we can choose a partition ##P## such that the area enclosed by the partition satisfies:

$$A_P < \frac{\epsilon}{M}$$.

Then we have:

$$S_P = \sum_{i} M_i \Delta A_i ≤ M A_P < \epsilon$$

This is because ##M_i = 0## for rectangles which do not contribute to ##A_P##. Then ##\inf(S_P) < \epsilon \Rightarrow \inf(S_P) \leq 0##.

We know that ##\sup(s_p) \geq 0## and so ##0 \leq sup(s_p) \leq inf(S_P) \leq 0##. So obviously ##sup(s_p) = inf(S_P)##.

Hence it must be the case that ##f## is integrable since the upper and lower sums converge, and ##\int \int f dA = 0##.

I think that should be it for the first question hopefully.

2. Well we have ##g - f = 0## on ##R## except on a set of outer content zero where we have ##g - f \geq 0##. So by the first question, ##g - f## is integrable.

Hence ##g = (g - f) + f## is integrable by question 1. So we can finally write:

$$\int \int f dA = \int \int (g - f) dA + \int \int f dA = \int \int g dA$$

Need a sanity check to make sure this isn't wrong. Been a long while since I had to think about a proof that hard.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?