Integrability of a step function

In summary, the function f(x) is defined as 1 if 2<=x<4, 2 if x=4, and -3 if 4<x<=7. It needs to be proved that this function is integrable on the interval [2,7] with a value of -7. There is a suggestion to use a partition and an epsilon argument to show that the upper and lower sums are equal. An example partition is given and there is a hint to use a monotone increasing function to find a solution. The use of intervals spanning the discontinuities is also suggested. Finally, it is recommended to try different values of epsilon to find the corresponding delta.
stunner5000pt
Let f (x) = 1 if 2<=x<4
2 if x =4
-3, if 4<x<=7
Prove that this function is integrable on [2,7], state its value and prove that it is what you say it is.
Obviously integral of f from [2,7] is -7. but its proof and the integrability have me and my friends snagged.

Suggestions anyone?

SO far we have the idea that we have to prove that U(f,P) - L(f,P) , Epsilon
We computed that U(f,P) - L(f,P) =5 (Tj - Tj-1) where Tj and Tj-1 is the subinterval in which Tj-1<2<Tj. However we are stuck from here.

My notation is from a book called Calculus by Spivak. Basically U(f,P) is the upper sum and L(f,P) is th lwoer sum for a partition P of the interval. P = {A=T0,T1,T2,...,TJ-1,TJ,...TN=B}and A and B are the endpoints of hte interval.

Physics news on Phys.org
A littel correction U(f,P) - L(f,P) must be strictly LESSSER than Epsilon.

Use the partition P={2,4-a,4,4+a,7}, where a>0 is small. You have L(f,P)=1(4-a-2)+1(4-4+a)+(-3)(4+a-4)+(-3)(7-4-a)=-7. You have U(f,P)=1(4-a-2)+2(4-4-a)+2(4+a-4)+(-3)(7-4-a)=-7+2a. You must have [tex]-7\leq \sup \{L(f,Q)|\textrm{Q a partition of [2,7]}\}[/tex] and [tex]\inf \{U(f,R)| \textrm{R a partition of [2,7]}\}\leq -7+2a[/tex]. You can use a simple epsilon argument to show that the two are equal, and thus integrable.

Last edited:
Given [tex]\epsilon[/tex] find [tex]\delta[/tex] so that if [tex]|t_n-t_{n+1}|<\delta \forall t_n \in P \rightarrow U(f,P)-L(f,P) < \epsilon[/tex]

Hint: If you can find a monotone increasing function [tex]g[/tex] so that [tex]g(\delta)<U(f,P)-L(f,P)[/tex] then you have [tex]g^{-1}(\epsilon)[/tex] as a solution.

In this particular situation, you can also try manually calculating the maximum and minimum with intevals of varying lenghts. Remeber to have intervals that span the discontinuities.

You can also try to find [tex]\delta[/tex] for a couple of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] I suggest trying 1, .1,.01,.001,.0001.

Last edited:
i think i'll use NateTG's given statement whichi think my prof would accept. I would think i could put delta = min (3,epsilon/5)
It works out fine that way. Thanks for the help. Alas i found out this forum, and idea, a dya AFTER the assignemtn was due...

1. What is a step function?

A step function is a piecewise-defined function that has a constant value within each interval. It is also known as a staircase function or a Heaviside function.

2. How is integrability defined for a step function?

Integrability of a step function is defined as the existence of a finite limit as the interval between the partition points approaches zero. In other words, the function must have a finite area under the curve.

3. Can a step function be integrated?

Yes, a step function can be integrated as long as it meets the definition of integrability. This means that the function must have a finite limit as the partition points approach zero.

4. What is the difference between Riemann and Lebesgue integration for a step function?

Riemann integration uses a finite number of subintervals to approximate the area under the curve, while Lebesgue integration uses a measure theory approach to define the integral. For a step function, both methods will yield the same result.

5. Why is integrability important for a step function?

Integrability is important for a step function because it allows us to calculate the area under the curve, which can be useful in various applications such as calculating work done, finding the average value of a function, or solving differential equations.