1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrability of f^2

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be positive and bounded over [a,b]. If f^2 is integrable over [a,b], then show that f is as well.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm just trying to use the fact that the upper and lower sums of f^2 over a partition P are arbitrarily close, and then somehow find an upper bound for the difference of the upper and lower sums of f based on that. I've tried separating it into cases, where the max and min of f on an interval are >=1, <1, etc. but it hasn't really led anywhere. If anyone could give me some sort of hint, i'd really appreciate it =)

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's fairly easy if you know f(x)>=m for m>0 isn't it? Since f(x1)^2-f(x2)^2=(f(x1)-f(x2))*(f(x1)+f(x2)) and you know f(x1)+f(x2)>=2m. So f(x1)^2-f(x2)^2>=(f(x1)-f(x2))*2m. Now let m approach zero. Why can you ignore the part of the sums coming from f(x)<m? Remember the interval of integration is [a,b]. It's finite.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?