Integrability of Monotonic Functions on Closed Intervals Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that states if a function is monotonic on a closed interval, then it is also integrable on that interval. The discussion also touches on non-monotonic functions and their relationship to integrability. Examples of continuous and discontinuous non-monotonic functions are provided.
Miike012
The book is saying if f is monotonic on a closed interval, then f is integrable on the closed interval.

Or basically if it is increasing or decreasing on the interval it is integrable on that interval

This makes sense, however this theorem seems to obvious because obviously if a function is countinuous on a closed interval it will be integrable on that interval whether or not its increasing or not...
So my question is... what is a non monotonic function..? would that be a function with discountinuities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
The book is saying if f is monotonic on a closed interval, then f is integrable on the closed interval.

Or basically if it is increasing or decreasing on the interval it is integrable on that interval

This makes sense, however this theorem seems to obvious because obviously if a function is countinuous on a closed interval it will be integrable on that interval whether or not its increasing or not...
So my question is... what is a non monotonic function..? would that be a function with discountinuities?

It doesn't have to be discontinuous. For example f(x) = xsin(1/x) is continuous if you define f(0) = 0, but it isn't monotonic on any closed interval containing 0. A discontinuous example is the "salt and pepper" function g(x) = 1 if x rational and 0 if x irrational, which is not monotonic on any interval.

Sorry, I don't see how f(x) = xsin(1/x) is defined at x = 0...?

Miike012 said:
Sorry, I don't see how f(x) = xsin(1/x) is defined at x = 0...?

The definition of the function I am suggesting is$$
f(x) = \begin{cases} \frac 1 x\sin(x)&x \neq 0\\
0 & x = 0\end{cases}$$ It is defined to be 0 when x = 0.

Miike012 said:

f(x)=x^2 on [-1,1] is nonmonotonic. It is continuous. It's also integrable. What's the question again? I think Miike012 might be confusing f monotonic -> f integrable (which is true) with f not monotonic -> f not integrable (which is false).

Last edited:

1. What is "Integrability question"?

Integrability question is a mathematical concept that asks whether a given function can be integrated using elementary functions (such as polynomials, exponential, trigonometric functions) and their inverses.

2. Why is the integrability question important?

The integrability question is important because it helps determine the complexity of a mathematical problem. If a function is not integrable, it means that there is no simple expression for its integral, making it difficult to solve and analyze.

3. How is the integrability question solved?

The integrability question is solved using various techniques, such as the Risch algorithm, which is a decision procedure for determining the integrability of elementary functions. It involves checking for the existence of a closed form solution using a set of rules and heuristics.

4. Are all functions integrable?

No, not all functions are integrable. In fact, most functions are not integrable in terms of elementary functions. However, there are techniques such as numerical integration and the use of special functions that can be used to approximate the integral of non-integrable functions.

5. What are some applications of the integrability question?

The integrability question has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps determine the solvability of differential equations, which are used to model various phenomena in these fields. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new mathematical techniques and algorithms.