1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrable function proof

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    A is the open unit ball in R^n. Let B be the compliment of A (R^n\A).
    If f: B -> R is defined by f(x) = ||x||^-3... (where x is in B)

For n=2, using an increasing union of compact sets show that f is integrable on B.

For n=3, show that f is not integrable.

Does an increasing union of sets here mean that each compact set must be contained entirely in the next? It seems clear here that f will be bounded for n=2 (from 0 to 1), and thus would suggest that it is integrable, but then why not n=3? I seem to be missing a requirement for f being integrable here, any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2
    I did this question (I'm assuming that you've just taken this from the assignment) by choosing an obvious increasing union of compact sets. Polar coordinates, spherical coordinates hmm...

The fact that f is bounded doesn't really tell you that much. If you look at the definition you need a certain limit to exist.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?