Evaluating Surface Integral for f(x,y,z)=(x^2+y^2)zy

In summary: The integral in rectangular coordinates should be\displaystyle \int_{-3}^{3} \int_{-\sqrt{3-x^2}}^{\sqrt{3-x^2}} 2x^2(\sqrt{3-x^2})+2(\sqrt{3-x^2}^3)dydxYou need to solve $3=x^2+y^2$ for y and use those limits.In polar coordinates you should have\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral [itex]\displaystyle \int \int_\sigma f(x,y,z) dS[/itex] for [itex]f(x,y,z)=(x^2+y^2)zy[/itex] where σ is the portion of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=4 and abov plane z=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize this can be done by parameterising the surface using θ and ∅. However, is it possible to use the other method

[itex]\displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} f(x,y,z) dS=\int \int_R f(x,y,g(x,y))\sqrt{z_x^2+z_y^2+1}dA [/itex] (1)

where [itex]z=g(x,y)=\sqrt{ 4-x^2-y^2}[/itex] (2)?
Evaluating the RHS of eqn 1 I arrive at

[itex]\displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} f(x,y,z) dS=\int \int_R 2x^2y+2y^3dA [/itex]

Is this correct? If it is, how do I proceed with the limits, that I am not sure of

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral [itex]\displaystyle \int \int_\sigma f(x,y,z) dS[/itex] for [itex]f(x,y,z)=(x^2+y^2)zy[/itex] where σ is the portion of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=4 and abov plane z=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize this can be done by parameterising the surface using θ and ∅. However, is it possible to use the other method

[itex]\displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} f(x,y,z) dS=\int \int_R f(x,y,g(x,y))\sqrt{z_x^2+z_y^2+1}dA [/itex] (1)

where [itex]z=g(x,y)=\sqrt{ 4-x^2-y^2}[/itex] (2)?
Evaluating the RHS of eqn 1 I arrive at

[itex]\displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} f(x,y,z) dS=\int \int_R 2x^2y+2y^3dA [/itex]

Is this correct? If it is, how do I proceed with the limits, that I am not sure of

Thanks

No, I don't think your last integrand is correct, and you didn't show your work. And once you fix that you need to identify the equation of the circle bounding the xy area. Once you have that you will want to consider whether it is easier in rectangular coordinates xy or polar coordinates.

[Edit] On re-checking, I think your integrand is correct. So just consider my other comments.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
No, I don't think your last integrand is correct, and you didn't show your work. And once you fix that you need to identify the equation of the circle bounding the xy area. Once you have that you will want to consider whether it is easier in rectangular coordinates xy or polar coordinates.

[Edit] On re-checking, I think your integrand is correct. So just consider my other comments.

if [itex]z=g(x,y)=\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}[/itex], then projection onto xy plane from the plane z=1 gives

[itex]1=\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2} \implies 3=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

I am not sure how to know which way is easier...

In cartesian coordinates would it be [itex]\displaystyle \int \int_R 2x^2y+2y^3dA[/itex]...how would I define the limits?

In polar coordinates [itex]\displaystyle \int \int_R 2yr^2dA[/itex] don't know how to deal with the y here...

bugatti79 said:
if [itex]z=g(x,y)=\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}[/itex], then projection onto xy plane from the plane z=1 gives

In cartesian coordinates would it be [itex]\displaystyle \int \int_R 2x^2y+2y^3dA[/itex]...how would I define the limits?
So your region in the xy plane is the circle ##x^2+y^2=9## and your dA = dydx. It is an ordinary xy double integral. You will need to solve the equation for y for the inside limits.
In polar coordinates [itex]\displaystyle \int \int_R 2yr^2dA[/itex] don't know how to deal with the y here...

The polar coordinate substitutions are ##x = r\cos\theta,\ y = r\sin\theta,\ dA=rdrd\theta## with appropriate ##r,\theta## limits.

LCKurtz said:
So your region in the xy plane is the circle ##x^2+y^2=9## and your dA = dydx. It is an ordinary xy double integral. You will need to solve the equation for y for the inside limits.

The polar coordinate substitutions are ##x = r\cos\theta,\ y = r\sin\theta,\ dA=rdrd\theta## with appropriate ##r,\theta## limits.

Oh I see...just before I coninue on..is the equation of circle x^2+y^2=9 correct?

I write the following equation because we have z=1 as our plane and we have to equate this to our [itex]z=\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}[/itex]

[itex]1=\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2} \implies 3=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]...?

LCKurtz said:

bugatti79 said:
Oh I see...just before I coninue on..is the equation of circle x^2+y^2=9 correct?

Didn't I already answer that??

LCKurtz said:
Didn't I already answer that??

I was just repeating what you wrote to emphasise that I undestand it based on my last post. I think I do so I will proceed thanks :-)

bugatti79 said:

Actually, I hav a typo in the highlighed. It should be [itex]3=x^2+y^2[/itex]

LCKurtz said:

The polar coordinate substitutions are [itex]x = r\cos\theta,\ y = r\sin\theta,\ dA=rdrd\theta[/itex] with appropriate [itex]r,\theta[/itex] limits.

same again x^2+y^2=3, will proceed...

bugatti79 said:
Actually, I hav a typo in the highlighed. It should be [itex]3=x^2+y^2[/itex]

Yes, good catch.

LCKurtz said:

In polar coordinates, I set up the integrand to be

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{3}} 2r^4 sin{\theta}drd\theta[/itex]...?

in rect coordinates [itex]\displaystyle \int \int 2x^2(\sqrt{3-x^2})+2(\sqrt{3-x^2}^3)dxdy[/itex]

I don't know how to work the limits for this...

sheriff89 said:
Doesn't my post save you work? I'm sorry but I feel you haven't seen it, and I find it way more "learningful".

Sorry, I was just focusing how to do it the conventional way regarding polar and rect coordinates.
I don't understand your post, but I suspect you have recognised a short cut..?

bugatti79 said:
In polar coordinates, I set up the integrand to be

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{3}} 2r^4 sin{\theta}drd\theta[/itex]...?
Yes, that looks correct.
in rect coordinates [itex]\displaystyle \int \int 2x^2(\sqrt{3-x^2})+2(\sqrt{3-x^2}^3)dxdy[/itex]

I don't know how to work the limits for this...

That isn't the correct integrand for dydx. You had it correct before:$$
\iint 2x^2y+2y^3\, dydx$$You have to learn how to put in the correct xy limits. y goes from the lower curve to the upper one and x varies from the low to high limits. If you try it, you will see why you want to do this one in polar coordinates. When you work it out, you will get 0 as Sheriff89 has pointed out, but I don't think you should be looking for such shortcuts until you understand better what you are doing.

LCKurtz said:
That isn't the correct integrand for dydx. You had it correct before:$$
\iint 2x^2y+2y^3\, dydx$$You have to learn how to put in the correct xy limits. y goes from the lower curve to the upper one and x varies from the low to high limits. If you try it, you will see why you want to do this one in polar coordinates. When you work it out, you will get 0 as Sheriff89 has pointed out, but I don't think you should be looking for such shortcuts until you understand better what you are doing.

Ok I won't attempt to evaluate the rect coordinate one but I would like to know how the limits are obtained...the below is my guess...the x limits I am sure are NOT correct because it still has a variable y whereas the answer should be numeric...

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\sqrt{3-y^2}} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{3-x^2}} 2x^2y+2y^3\, dydx[/itex]

bugatti79 said:
Ok I won't attempt to evaluate the rect coordinate one but I would like to know how the limits are obtained...the below is my guess...the x limits I am sure are NOT correct because it still has a variable y whereas the answer should be numeric...

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\sqrt{3-y^2}} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{3-x^2}} 2x^2y+2y^3\, dydx[/itex]

You are right, that isn't correct not least because the outer limits must be constant, as you have noticed. Your circle is ##x^2 + y^2 = 3##. What do you get for the upper and lower curves if you solve for y? That will give you the dy limits. After that, use the extreme values x can take for the x limits.

LCKurtz said:
You are right, that isn't correct not least because the outer limits must be constant, as you have noticed. Your circle is ##x^2 + y^2 = 3##. What do you get for the upper and lower curves if you solve for y? That will give you the dy limits. After that, use the extreme values x can take for the x limits.

for the y limits

[itex] - \sqrt {3-x^2}[/itex] and [itex] \sqrt {3-x^2}[/itex]

x limits

- sqrt3 and sqrt 3.

THanks

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that calculates the area of a surface in three-dimensional space. It is used to evaluate the amount of a given function that exists on a particular surface.

2. How is a surface integral calculated?

A surface integral is calculated by dividing a surface into small pieces and approximating the total area by adding up the areas of these small pieces. This process is similar to how a regular integral is calculated, but instead of summing up the areas of infinitely thin rectangles, we sum up the areas of infinitely small surfaces.

3. What is the difference between a surface integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve on a two-dimensional plane, while a surface integral calculates the area of a surface in three-dimensional space. A regular integral has one variable, while a surface integral has two variables, typically represented as x and y.

4. How is the surface integral for a given function evaluated?

The surface integral for a given function is evaluated by first setting up the integral using the appropriate formula and limits of integration. Then, the integral is solved using techniques such as substitution and integration by parts. In some cases, the integral may need to be approximated numerically using methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule.

5. How is the surface integral for a vector field calculated?

The surface integral for a vector field is calculated using the dot product between the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface. This dot product is then integrated over the surface, with the appropriate limits of integration. The resulting expression gives the total flux or flow of the vector field through the surface.