What are some methods for solving the integral of (4x^2-1)e^(-2x^2)?

• Thread starter birdhen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2) and the use of the error function. It is suggested to split the integral into two parts and use the integration by parts method. The final solution is found to be (-xe^(-2x^2)) -int(-e^(-2x^2)) -int(e^(-2x^2)).
birdhen
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with this integral.

((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2),

I have tried substitution with trig functions, hyperbolic functions, seperating the first part into partial fractions and numerous other methods to no avail. Does anyone who knows have any hints?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Try solving this with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function" . This will give a solution in terms of erf(x), a solution in terms of more elementary functions is probably not possible.
I also suspect that the definite integral over the real line is 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is OK I have done it now, I split it into two parts 4x^2(e-2x^2) and -e(-2x^2) and integrated the first part by parts using u'=4xe(-2x^2) and v=x, and then the integral part of the solution canceled with the second part ie the sol'n was ;

[-xe(-2x^2)]-int(-e(-2x^2)-int(-e(-2x^2)),

leaving [-xe(-2x^2)] with appropriate limits,

Thanks!

birdhen said:
It is OK I have done it now, I split it into two parts 4x^2(e-2x^2) and -e(-2x^2) and integrated the first part by parts using u'=4xe(-2x^2) and v=x, and then the integral part of the solution canceled with the second part ie the sol'n was ;

[-xe(-2x^2)]-int(-e(-2x^2)-int(-e(-2x^2)),
No, the last two terms do NOT cancel, they add. This is
[tex]-xe^{-2x^2}- 2\int e^{-2x^2} dx[/tex].

leaving [-xe(-2x^2)] with appropriate limits,

Thanks!

I think wrote it incorrectly, it would be;

(-xe^(-2x^2)) -int(-e^(-2x^2)) -int(e^(-2x^2)),

which then cancels.

1. What is the integral of ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2)?

The integral of ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2) is equal to -0.5e^(-2x^2) + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do you solve for the integral of ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2)?

To solve for the integral, we can use the substitution method. Let u = -2x^2, du = -4x dx. Then, we have the integral of (4x^2-1)e^u = 0.5e^u + C = 0.5e^(-2x^2) + C.

3. Is there a shortcut to finding the integral of ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2)?

Yes, there is a shortcut known as integration by parts. Using this method, the integral of (4x^2-1)e^(-2x^2) can be found by setting u = (4x^2-1) and dv = e^(-2x^2)dx. Then, we can use the formula ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu to solve for the integral.

4. How do you know if you have solved the integral of ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2) correctly?

You can check your solution by differentiating it. If the derivative of your solution is equal to the original function, then you have solved it correctly. In this case, the derivative of -0.5e^(-2x^2) + C is indeed equal to (4x^2-1)e^(-2x^2).

5. Can the integral of ((4x^2)-1)e^(-2x^2) be evaluated at specific values of x?

Yes, the integral can be evaluated at specific values of x. To do this, simply plug in the value of x into the solution and solve for the corresponding y-value. For example, if we want to evaluate the integral at x = 2, we have -0.5e^(-2(2)^2) + C = -0.5e^(-8) + C.