1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Action

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    Left my integral table at home, could someone tell me the value of these integrals?
    [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+b^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{(x^2+b^2)^2} dx[/tex]
    and the same as the latter but with the denominator raised to the power 4. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2
    Just solve them yourself, they're both pretty standard trig substitutions. You should always solve the integral forms from the table yourself, at least once, before you use them. They're a nice tool for saving yourself time and effort, not a crutch to avoid learning your integration techniques properly.

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

www.integrals.com

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4
    What do I do with the arctan at infinity? Do I just use [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] or do I have to be saucy about it?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  6. Nov 27, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I wouldn't recommend be "saucy" about homework! Technically, you should take the limit of arctan t as t goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] but that is, of course, [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

7. Nov 27, 2005 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

EDIT: I was going to post the below, but I just realized the it doesn't matter what [itex]\mbox{sgn}(b)[/itex] is, assuming [itex]b\neq 0[/itex], take it to be positive since b is only given by b2, we may assume it is positive.

For [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+b^2)^2}=\lim_{M\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{2b^3} \left(\frac{bM}{b^2+M^2} + \tan^{-1}\left( \frac{M}{b}\right) -0\right) [/tex]
    [tex]=0+\lim_{M\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{2b^3} \tan^{-1}\left( \frac{M}{b}\right)=\mbox{sgn}(b) \frac{\pi}{4b^3}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?