Integral Action: Value of Integrals w/ Denominators Raised to Powers 2 & 4

• Thread starter PowerWill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the value of the given integrals is \mbox{sgn}(b) \frac{\pi}{4b^3}. The first integral can be solved using a standard trig substitution, while the second and third involve taking the limit of arctan at infinity. It is recommended to solve integrals from tables on one's own first before using them as a tool.
PowerWill
Left my integral table at home, could someone tell me the value of these integrals?
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+b^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{(x^2+b^2)^2} dx[/tex]
and the same as the latter but with the denominator raised to the power 4. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PowerWill said:
Left my integral table at home, could someone tell me the value of these integrals?
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+b^2)^2}[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{(x^2+b^2)^2} dx[/tex]
and the same as the latter but with the denominator raised to the power 4. Thanks!

Just solve them yourself, they're both pretty standard trig substitutions. You should always solve the integral forms from the table yourself, at least once, before you use them. They're a nice tool for saving yourself time and effort, not a crutch to avoid learning your integration techniques properly.

What do I do with the arctan at infinity? Do I just use [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] or do I have to be saucy about it?

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't recommend be "saucy" about homework! Technically, you should take the limit of arctan t as t goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] but that is, of course, [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

EDIT: I was going to post the below, but I just realized the it doesn't matter what [itex]\mbox{sgn}(b)[/itex] is, assuming [itex]b\neq 0[/itex], take it to be positive since b is only given by b2, we may assume it is positive.

For [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+b^2)^2}=\lim_{M\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{2b^3} \left(\frac{bM}{b^2+M^2} + \tan^{-1}\left( \frac{M}{b}\right) -0\right) [/tex]
[tex]=0+\lim_{M\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{2b^3} \tan^{-1}\left( \frac{M}{b}\right)=\mbox{sgn}(b) \frac{\pi}{4b^3}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It can be thought of as the reverse of differentiation and is used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities.

2. What is the value of an integral with denominators raised to powers 2 & 4?

The value of an integral with denominators raised to powers 2 & 4 depends on the specific function being integrated. It cannot be determined without knowing the function and the limits of integration.

3. How do you solve for integrals with denominators raised to powers 2 & 4?

To solve for integrals with denominators raised to powers 2 & 4, you can use integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts. It is important to also simplify the integrand before attempting to integrate.

4. What is the significance of having denominators raised to powers 2 & 4 in an integral?

Having denominators raised to powers 2 & 4 in an integral can make the integration process more challenging, as it requires a different approach compared to integrals with simpler denominators. It also affects the overall shape and behavior of the function being integrated.

5. How is integral action related to other mathematical concepts?

Integral action is related to other mathematical concepts such as derivatives, limits, and differential equations. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, where it is used to calculate physical quantities.