Integral along a closed loop

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the integral along a closed loop of (1/r^2) dr is equal to zero. The suggestion is to pick two points and calculate the line integral along two different curves, which should both result in the same value. This can be proven using Cauchy's theorem on residues, since 1/r^2 is an analytic function with a singularity at 0.
rocket
i want to prove that this integral along a closed loop:

[tex]\oint (1/r^2) dr[/tex]

is equal to zero. but I'm not sure how to prove it. i was wondering if someone can show me a rigid proof for this. I think I'm missing something here because I'm not really that familiar with loop integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick two points, A and B, and two curves, C_1 and C_2 where C_1 goes from A to B and C_2 from B to A.

Now calculate the line integral along the curve C_1 and C_2. They should both be equal, in which case, the loop integral will be 0.

Since [tex]1/\tau^2[/tex] is an analytic function with a singularity in 0 (a pole of order 2), the contour your want to use is closed, then you can use the Cauchy's theorem on residues.

[tex] \oint 1/\tau^2 \, d\tau = 2i\pi \cdot 0 [/tex]

where 0 is the residue of [tex]1/\tau^2[/tex]

What is an integral along a closed loop?

An integral along a closed loop is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total change or flow of a vector field along a closed curve or loop. It involves calculating the line integral of a vector field over a closed path or loop.

How is an integral along a closed loop different from a regular integral?

An integral along a closed loop is different from a regular integral because it involves integrating a vector field along a closed path rather than a single point or interval. This allows for the calculation of the total change or flow of the vector field over the entire loop.

What is the significance of an integral along a closed loop?

The calculation of an integral along a closed loop is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows for the determination of important physical quantities such as work, energy, and flux.

How do you calculate an integral along a closed loop?

To calculate an integral along a closed loop, you first need to parameterize the curve or loop in terms of a single variable. Then, you integrate the dot product of the vector field and the tangent vector of the curve with respect to this variable. The resulting integral will give you the total change or flow of the vector field over the closed loop.

Can an integral along a closed loop be negative?

Yes, an integral along a closed loop can be negative if the vector field is pointing in the opposite direction of the curve. This means that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the curve and the resulting integral will be negative. This can have physical implications, such as negative work or energy being done on a system.