Integral, an algebra problem actually

In summary, an integral in algebra is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. To solve an integral, various methods such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, or using integration tables can be used. The difference between indefinite and definite integrals is that an indefinite integral results in a function while a definite integral results in a numerical value. The integral is important in mathematics as it has many real-world applications and can be approximated using numerical methods.
mattmns
This one has me baffled.

[tex]\frac{4}{3}\int_{0}^{1} x^8 \sqrt{1 + 4x^2 + 4x^4}dx[/tex]

Any ideas would be great, I am thinking maybe a trig substitution, but I have yet to figure out how to simplify this thing first. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The stuff under the square root forms a perfect square.

Regards,
George

Pff, duhhh! [tex] (x^2 + \frac{1}{2})^2 [/tex]

Thanks!

i did this type of problem before but a multiple choice questions, and there is no matched answer.

later i discovered they used the negative solution, since square root gives positive and negative. so be careful.

1. What is an integral in algebra?

An integral in algebra is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various methods such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, or using integration tables. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the function.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral does not have specific limits and results in a function, while a definite integral has specific limits and results in a numerical value.

4. Why is the integral important in mathematics?

The integral is important in mathematics because it allows us to solve various real-world problems involving rates of change, area, and volume. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can you approximate an integral?

Yes, an integral can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods divide the area under the curve into smaller sections to calculate an estimated value for the integral.