1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral and Derivative Help

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    Integral and Derivative Help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have 3 problems that i am struggling to solve for the simple fact that there are two variables in each problem. I have no experience with multivariable calculus... i feel like im missing something big because i have all the prerequisites for this physics course completed and with high grades yet this is our first hw... stuff we should be familiar with.
    1. [tex]\int[/tex] 1/(d-x) dx

2. derivative of f(t)= sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t -1)

3. [tex]\int[/tex] x/((x^2)+(L^2))^(3/2) dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to solve 1 and 3 using trig substitution, partial fractions, integration by parts, u substitution but they all seem to lead to dead ends

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Integral and Derivative Help!!!

Assume 'd' and 'L' are constants. The first is a simple u-substitution. The second one, apply the chain rule.

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Integral and Derivative Help!!!

The third one is a simple substitution as well. You could also do it with a trig substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook