Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral, and limit help?

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    integral, and limit help????

well i have this integral, i have tried to solve it but got nowhere.
    it is:

[tex]\int\frac{\1{x^3+x^2+1}[/tex]

and the limit is

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should post this under the applicable homework help section.

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    i am terrible with latex, so i will just write it down. Btw it is not a homework.

integ of 1/(x^3+x^2+1)dx

and the limit i am trying to do it without using the l'hopital rule. By the way i also would like to know if there exists any theorem which states that, if the limit of a functions can be calculated using l'hopital rule, than it will be solvable also without using l'hopital rule??

lim{x-->0)(x cos(x)-sin(x) )/( x- sin(x) )

thnx in advance

5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    well, no ideas on how to tackle those two problems so far???

6. Oct 16, 2007 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even if it's not "officially" homework, for this type of a problem you have a better chance of getting a response in the applicable HW section.

7. Oct 16, 2007 #6
    what is the limit? you didn't write it down? and the integral using partial fractions i think

8. Oct 17, 2007 #7
    well, i wrote the limit down, read post #3.
    About the integral i also think that somewhere along the way i have to use partial fractions, but how to go about factoring the denominator.??

9. Oct 17, 2007 #8
    Regarding the limit, you could expand the trig terms in Taylor series and collect terms. You should find that you'll be able to divide numerator and denominator by a factor of x^3 to obtain a leading term that is your limit as x approaches zero.

Of course, confirm your answer with L'hopital (requires three applications)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?