1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral and probability

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The probability is given by:
    p(x,y)=6(1-x-y)
    x>=0
    y>=0
    x+y<=1

Show that p is normilized.
    calculate <x>

2. Relevant equations
    I found that p is normilized using the integral:
    untitled.JPG

and It's equal to 1.
    are the limits of the integral correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you integrating [itex]y[/itex] from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]1-x[/itex]? Are you told that [itex]y\geq x[/itex]? If not, you should be integrating from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]1-x[/itex] instead.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    I know that y>=x-1
    and if I do it for 0 to 1 I don't get in the end that the probabilty =1

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You were given [itex]x+y \le 1[/itex], so, moving the x over to the other side, you get [itex]y \le 1-x[/itex], right?

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    right... so that's why I chose the integral limits for dy to be from x to 1-x.
    Is it wrong?

7. Mar 12, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again, why are you using [itex]x[/itex] as your lower limit? You are told that [itex]y\geq0[/itex], not [itex]y\geq x[/itex]

8. Mar 12, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your response to gabbagabbahey's question was confusing. In your previous post, you answered, it was because you knew [itex]y \ge x-1[/itex]. The "x-1" suggested to me you somehow got that condition from the constraint [itex]x+y \le 1[/itex], and my point was that the constraint can only lead to [itex]y \le 1-x[/itex], the upper limit of the integral. There's no way you can get [itex]y \ge x-1[/itex] from it.

Even if you did have [itex]y \ge x-1[/itex], your answer didn't make sense. Why would the lower limit of the integral be x? Shouldn't it be x-1 if your inequality were true?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook