1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral and series

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Evaluate the indefinite integral as an infinite series.
    [tex]\int{\sqrt{x^3 +1}} [/tex]

2. Relevant EquationsTaylor Series: f(x) = [tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^{inf} \frac{\f^{n}(a)}{n!} (x-a)^n[/tex]

Maclaurin Series --> taylor series with a = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to evaluate this integral. I can't use u substitution. From the chapter, I have seen no general formula for such an integral.
    Please give a hint.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Firstly, I'm going to assume you meant to write [itex]\int \sqrt{x^3 + 1} \, dx[/itex].

Read the problem!

Evaluate the indefinite integral as an infinite series.​

This suggests infinite series are going to be involved. Is there anything here you can write as an infinite series?

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    Yeah, I know that I'm supposed to use an infinite series...but my book only gives examples that are similar to e^x, sin x, cos x, [tex]tan^{-1}x[/tex], and 1/(1-x)...so I can't really think of what to do.

[tex]\int{\sqrt{x^3 +1}} [/tex] is not similar to any of those, except maybe the integral of [tex]tan^{-1}x[/tex].

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you've learned how to compute infinite series, haven't you? You could try that.

P.S. Your book doesn't have infinite series expressions for things like [itex]\sqrt{x+1}[/itex]?

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5
    Could you solve by first expanding the integrand using binomial expansion and then integrate each individual part?

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6
    Umm...I don't think so. My professor did not cover this section in the detail I would have liked.
    I didn't quite understand everything in the section.

Please tell me how to compute infinite series! :)

8. Dec 10, 2006 #7
    I haven't gotten to binomial expansions yet.

9. Dec 10, 2006 #8
    Oh I see, well, just in case you want to know, the binomial expansion series says you can expand a binomial according to the following formula:

[tex]1+kx+\frac{k(k-1)}{2!}x^2+\frac{k(k-1)(k-2)}{3!}x^3[/tex] and so on, where k is your exponent.

In this integral, [tex]\int{\sqrt{x^3 +1}} [/tex] your function is raised to the (1/2) power so k = (1/2). Then you just simply plug in for x and k in the formula for a couple of terms and integrate each term individually.

I worked out your integral on my TI-89 and evaluated from 0 to 1 and got the answer 1.111448. When I worked it with the binomial expansion method (3 terms) I got 1.149. So you can see the values are pretty close. If I worked out more terms, my answer would have been any closer.

I know you want to use a different technique, but just in case you can't find it through your method, I just wanted to give you an alternative method to use. Hope it helps and I wish I could help you with the other way, but I am not too sure about that way.

10. Dec 10, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You already know how!

As you've said (correcting the typos):

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!} (x-a)^n[/tex]

at least... you know how to compute the first several terms of the infinite series. (And hopefuly, you can then figure out what the general term is)

11. Dec 11, 2006 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incidentally, the binomial formula you wrote is valid only when k is an integer. So advising him to plug k=1/2 is nonsensical.

Daniel.

12. Dec 11, 2006 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the name "binomial formula" is often applied to the Taylor series for (1+x)^k, even when k is not an integer. You can even write it with binomial coefficients, if you take the generalized definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?