1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral and volume

1. May 16, 2006 #1
    Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

y = x
    y = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    rotate about y = 1

[​IMG]

=[​IMG]

So, I am integrating with respect to x.
    Area = [tex]\int^1_{0}[(f(x))^2-(g(x))^2]dx[/tex]

I can't figure out how to get f(x) and g(x). I would think that they are simply f(x) = x and g(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex].

The book gives f(x) = 1 - x and g(x) = 1 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]

I don't understand how that works.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2006 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I found the easiest way to do it is to demarcate the element of the volume of revolution.

In this case, one element is like a small piece of a cylindrical annulus (which consists of a cylinder with a centered cylindrical hole burrowed within it).

The cylindrical annulus has outer radius given by [tex](1 - y_1) = 1 - x[/tex] and inner radius given by [tex](1 - y_2) = 1 - \sqrt{x}[/tex]. The radii have the "one minus" because you are rotating about y = 1 and not the x-axis. From geometry you know that the volume of a cylindrical annulus is [tex]Volume = \pi(r_o^2 - r_i^2)h[/tex] where [tex]r_o[/tex] is external radius, [tex]r_i[/tex] is internal radius and [tex]h[/tex] is height. Apply the same logic to the element of volume here and you'll get the integrand below.

The complete volume can be evaluated as the integral

[tex]V = \int_0^1 \pi ((1 - y_1)^2 - (1 - y_2)^2) dx = \int_0^1 \pi ((1 - x)^2 - (1 - \sqrt{x})^2) dx[/tex]. The bounds are of course derived from seeing where [tex]x = \sqrt{x}[/tex]

That is in essence the same thing your book has given, in this case, [tex]f(x) = (1-x)[/tex] and [tex]g(x) = (1 - \sqrt{x})[/tex]

4. May 16, 2006 #3
    Thanks,

I think I'm starting to understand why you get the 1 - x and 1 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]. Is it that you have to treat the radius as a function? Why can't you pretend that you are rotating over the origin and take the radius from there?

I also don't understand why you have to subtract the function...in another example where you rotate over y = -1, you add 1 to the function.

I don't understand the difference.

5. May 16, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You can't "pretend" you're rotating over the x-axis (you meant this when you said "origin" didn't you?), because the axis of rotation makes a big deal to the calculation. It's not a simple question of rotating about the x-axis then translating the volume. Just cut the required area at x = 1 and see how much the "curvey part" you're rotating differs from the "curvey part" you're rotating when you use the x-axis to rotate the object. There's no easy way to get from the solid of revolution formed from rotating about the x-axis to the one formed by rotating about y = 1.

Here we're taking (1 - y) as the radius. Now when rotating about y = -1, you replace the "1" with "-1" giving you (-1-y).

That seems different from (1+y) doesn't it? But when you square it to do the volume, you get the same thing : (-1-y)^2 = (1+y)^2. Simple, no?:smile:

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    Ok, but what if you moved the function down 1 so that it is over the x-axis and then rotated it?

letting f(x) = x - 1 and g(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] - 1.

7. May 17, 2006 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes, that would be fine. Verify that it works out the same way when you square it, e.g. (x-1)^2 = (1-x)^2.

8. May 17, 2006 #7
    Thanks, I understand now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?