Find Volume of Rotated Region Bounded by y=x, y=sqrt(x)

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by two curves about a specified line. The process involves using cylindrical annuli and integrating with respect to x. The book suggests using f(x) = 1 - x and g(x) = 1 - √x, which can be explained by treating the radius as a function. The difference in using different lines of rotation was also addressed, with the conclusion that the same result can be obtained by moving the function accordingly.
merced
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

y = x
y = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]
rotate about y = 1

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/5879/math10sp.jpg

=http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/5729/math23gk.th.jpg

So, I am integrating with respect to x.
Area = [tex]\int^1_{0}[(f(x))^2-(g(x))^2]dx[/tex]

I can't figure out how to get f(x) and g(x). I would think that they are simply f(x) = x and g(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex].

The book gives f(x) = 1 - x and g(x) = 1 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]

I don't understand how that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the easiest way to do it is to demarcate the element of the volume of revolution.

In this case, one element is like a small piece of a cylindrical annulus (which consists of a cylinder with a centered cylindrical hole burrowed within it).

The cylindrical annulus has outer radius given by [tex](1 - y_1) = 1 - x[/tex] and inner radius given by [tex](1 - y_2) = 1 - \sqrt{x}[/tex]. The radii have the "one minus" because you are rotating about y = 1 and not the x-axis. From geometry you know that the volume of a cylindrical annulus is [tex]Volume = \pi(r_o^2 - r_i^2)h[/tex] where [tex]r_o[/tex] is external radius, [tex]r_i[/tex] is internal radius and [tex]h[/tex] is height. Apply the same logic to the element of volume here and you'll get the integrand below.

The complete volume can be evaluated as the integral

[tex]V = \int_0^1 \pi ((1 - y_1)^2 - (1 - y_2)^2) dx = \int_0^1 \pi ((1 - x)^2 - (1 - \sqrt{x})^2) dx[/tex]. The bounds are of course derived from seeing where [tex]x = \sqrt{x}[/tex]

That is in essence the same thing your book has given, in this case, [tex]f(x) = (1-x)[/tex] and [tex]g(x) = (1 - \sqrt{x})[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks,

I think I'm starting to understand why you get the 1 - x and 1 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]. Is it that you have to treat the radius as a function? Why can't you pretend that you are rotating over the origin and take the radius from there?

I also don't understand why you have to subtract the function...in another example where you rotate over y = -1, you add 1 to the function.

I don't understand the difference.

Last edited:
merced said:
Thanks,

I think I'm starting to understand why you get the 1 - x and 1 - [tex
]\sqrt{x}[/tex]. Is it that you have to treat the radius as a function? Why can't you pretend that you are rotating over the origin and take the radius from there?

I also don't understand why you have to subtract the function...in another example where you rotate over y = -1, you add 1 to the function.

I don't understand the difference.

You can't "pretend" you're rotating over the x-axis (you meant this when you said "origin" didn't you?), because the axis of rotation makes a big deal to the calculation. It's not a simple question of rotating about the x-axis then translating the volume. Just cut the required area at x = 1 and see how much the "curvey part" you're rotating differs from the "curvey part" you're rotating when you use the x-axis to rotate the object. There's no easy way to get from the solid of revolution formed from rotating about the x-axis to the one formed by rotating about y = 1.

Here we're taking (1 - y) as the radius. Now when rotating about y = -1, you replace the "1" with "-1" giving you (-1-y).

That seems different from (1+y) doesn't it? But when you square it to do the volume, you get the same thing : (-1-y)^2 = (1+y)^2. Simple, no?:smile:

Ok, but what if you moved the function down 1 so that it is over the x-axis and then rotated it?

letting f(x) = x - 1 and g(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] - 1.

merced said:
Ok, but what if you moved the function down 1 so that it is over the x-axis and then rotated it?

letting f(x) = x - 1 and g(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] - 1.

Yes, that would be fine. Verify that it works out the same way when you square it, e.g. (x-1)^2 = (1-x)^2.

Thanks, I understand now!

What is the formula for finding the volume of a rotated region bounded by y=x and y=sqrt(x)?

The formula for finding the volume of a rotated region bounded by y=x and y=sqrt(x) is given by V = π∫[a,b] (f(x)^2 - g(x)^2)dx, where a and b are the x-values of the intersection points between the two curves, and f(x) and g(x) represent the functions y=x and y=sqrt(x), respectively.

How do I determine the bounds of integration for finding the volume of this rotated region?

The bounds of integration can be determined by finding the x-values of the intersection points between the two curves, y=x and y=sqrt(x). These points will serve as the limits of integration, with the lower limit being the x-value of the leftmost intersection point and the upper limit being the x-value of the rightmost intersection point.

Can I use any method to find the intersection points between y=x and y=sqrt(x)?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to find the intersection points, such as graphing, substitution, or solving the equations simultaneously. Choose the method that is most comfortable for you.

Do I need to convert the functions y=x and y=sqrt(x) into their polar form for finding the volume of the rotated region?

No, there is no need to convert the functions into their polar form. The given formula for finding the volume of a rotated region can be used directly with the rectangular form of the functions.

Can this formula be used for finding the volume of any rotated region bounded by two functions?

Yes, this formula can be used for finding the volume of any rotated region bounded by two functions, as long as the functions are continuous and the rotated region lies between them.