1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral as a sum

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Snap1.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    Why specifically 1/2 is the coefficient in CK? the sum, basically, doesn't change except for the coefficient. i can choose it as i want.
    I understand the sum must equal the integral but i guess that's not the reason

2. Relevant equations
    Area under a curve as a sum:
    $$S_n=f(c_1)\Delta x+f(c_2)\Delta x+...+f(c_n)\Delta x$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$f(c_1)\Delta x=\frac{x_k-x_{k-1}}{\frac{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}+\sqrt{x_k}}{2}}=...=2(\sqrt{x_k}-\sqrt{x_{k-1}})$$
    $$S_n=2(\sqrt{x_1}-\sqrt{x_0}+\sqrt{x_2}-\sqrt{x_1}+...+\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_{n-1}})=2(\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_0})$$

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##c_k## is supposed to be an intermediate value. That is, ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k}}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{c_k}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}##. Can you check that that works for this choice of ##c_k##? Does it work if you change the coefficient?

4. Apr 27, 2017 #3
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}=\frac{2}{2\sqrt{x_k}}<\frac{2}{\sqrt{x_k}+\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}<\frac{2}{2\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}$$
    If i change the coefficient 2 into something greater or smaller then each time one side of the equation isn't right.
    But there are many values on the graph between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}##

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  5. Apr 27, 2017 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good. So you know ##c_k## is a good choice for an intermediate value. And sure, there are lots of other choices of ways to choose a ##c_k##, but this is the one that gives you that nice telescoping sum.

6. Apr 27, 2017 #5
    I myself can't prove that other coefficients fit between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}~## but if i look only at ##~S_n=2(\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_0})~## then anything other than 2 will give the same basic Sn

7. Apr 27, 2017 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Yes, anything other than 2 will give you a telescoping sum. But choosing anything other than 2 will not necessarily give you intermediate values. Think what happens if the spacing between ##x_k## and ##x_{k-1}## becomes very small.

8. Apr 27, 2017 #7
    Thank you very much Dick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted