How Do I Set Bounds for These Integrals Correctly?

In summary, the conversation discusses two integrals involving bounded regions: (a) the paraboloid y=x2+z2 and the plane y=4, and (b) the cylinder x2+y2=1, z=4, and the paraboloid z=1-x2-y2. It is suggested to use polar and cylindrical coordinates respectively to properly set up the bounds for these integrals.
dylanhouse

Homework Statement

I am having trouble setting up the bounds on the following two integrals:

(a) The region E bounded by the paraboloid y=x2+z2 and the plane y=4.
(b) The region bounded by the cylinder x2+y2=1, z=4, and the paraboloid z=1-x2-y2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought for (a) to use 4 < y < x2+z2
-sqrt(y-z2) < x < sqrt(y-z2)
-sqrt(y-x2) < z < sqrt(y-x2)
But these don't seem right.
I'm not sure where to begin for (b) except that z may be upper bounded by 4?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) The conditions you put on y will not give you a bounded region. For simplicity, I suggest you start working with ##r=\sqrt{x^2 + z^2}## instead of x and z.

(b) As in (a), polar coordinates will serve you well here.

For these you want to use cylindrical coordinates. For (a), you should take [itex](x,y,z) = (r \cos \theta, y, r \sin \theta)[/itex]. For (b), you should take [itex](x,y,z) = (r \cos\theta, r \sin \theta, z)[/itex].

1. What are setting bounds on integrals?

Setting bounds on integrals is a method used in mathematics to calculate the area under a curve or the value of a function within a range. The bounds are the limits of the integration, which can be defined by specific values or expressions.

2. Why is it important to set bounds on integrals?

Setting bounds on integrals is important because it allows us to calculate the exact value of a function or the area under a curve within a specific range. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force or finding the probability of an event in statistics.

3. How do you set bounds on integrals?

The bounds of an integral can be set by determining the lower and upper limits of integration. These limits can be defined by specific values or expressions. In some cases, the problem may provide the bounds, while in other cases, we may need to find them by analyzing the given function or curve.

4. Can you provide an example of setting bounds on integrals?

Sure, an example of setting bounds on integrals is finding the area under the curve of a function f(x) = x^2 between x = 0 and x = 3. In this case, the lower bound is 0, and the upper bound is 3. We can set these as the limits of integration in the integral ∫0^3 x^2 dx, which gives us the exact area under the curve within this range.

5. What are some common mistakes when setting bounds on integrals?

One of the most common mistakes when setting bounds on integrals is confusing the limits of integration with the values or expressions inside the integral. It is important to remember that the bounds are the limits of integration, while the values or expressions inside the integral are used to calculate the area or value within the given range. Another mistake is forgetting to include the appropriate differential, such as dx or dy, inside the integral.